Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the hell is wrong?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74K5Jay, Dec 9, 2000.

1. 74K5Jay

74K5Jay Registered Member

My motor only has 8000 on it and since the cold weather it tends to die sometimes not all the time. Well anyway its gradually been running worse and now it won't even idle hardly. If you give it any gas it backfires through the carb. The thing is motor, carb and everything including ignition was all new at the same time. i took the carb off tok it apart cleaned it (nothing looked wrong) new plugs, cap, rotor and it still does the same thing!!!!!!!! The carb is edelbrock #1406 (350 motor non-emissions) I sprayed carb fluid around the intake and carb to see if there were any vacuum leaks but didn't find any. I think the problem is the carb. What do you think?

DOES ANYBODY WANT TO BUY A CARB!!!!!!!!!

2. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check your ignition wires, I had a set of Accel (crap) Super Sport wires on my Jimmy. I would get backfiring and an odd erratic idle now and then, also have a 1406 Edelbrock. I was starting to think carb as well. I finally changed my 1 1/2 year old Accels out for some 8.5 mm spiral core wires. Presto![​IMG] its never run better!

Rene

[​IMG]

4. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

Sounds like the carb to me. How old is it? Check the fuel filter/pump, could be a clog in there. Also try the sending unit on the gas tank. Sounds like gas isn't getting there. Check the needles on the floats. Let us know what it is.

Logan

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Did you check your timing? Maybe it got bumped or loosened off and moved on ya?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>