Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"What the hell kinda paint is that?"

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by camok10, May 6, 2004.

1. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

\"What the hell kinda paint is that?\"

Its a very common question that I get about my truck and i figured that I would go ahead and spill the beans on the fourm. I dont know haw mane people have done it, but I font think that anyone here in Tucson has.

First I painted my truck with Corvette red, and if it wasn't my first time painting a vehicle, it might have turned out fine, but it didn't. So it remained block sanded for about a year, and finally i decided to fix it. I went to the local paint place, and say this stuff called Zolatone. ITs an epoxy laquer, and its mainly used for bed liners and other industrial purposes. It was a little hard to spray, mainly cause we didn't have the right gun setup, but i think for the most part it came out alright, i still need to fix up a few spots though. It durable as hell, and resistant to almost everything, including blood. (says so on the website!) and because i have disposed of many a body in my time, that works out well /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. If anyone is interested in tequniques for spraying, or just general questions i have dont a lot of research about it and i tink its one of the best off road painting options I have ever seen.

Here is the site.

Here is a better pic. It is mostly a flat color, but it has a little gloss to it, and a very cool texture.
    [​IMG]
    This is for all of you who want to paint your truck with a fast easy good looking finish, and will stand up to the elements. And for all of you who have had experience with this stuff, feel free to prais its awesomeness.... /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: \"What the hell kinda paint is that?\"

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

cowl hood with camo paint thats cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Actually I am familure with the product. It sticks like nothing else. Airstream has used the product since the 40's for paintin the aluminum walls in their campers. I am getting ready to respray the product in the 1959 Airstream my wife and I are restoring.

Your supose to use a pressure pot spray gun to apply it. The color we will be using speckles. The base is a eg shell color with light brown speckles. The amount of ait pressure determins the size of the speckles because it atomizes more with higher pressure.

No doubt the stuff holds up. Its still sticking in our 45 year old camper.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

We use or should I say they use that in the rescue trucks that I use to help build. If we are talking the same stuff its water based. Kind of a splatter right. Friend of mine did the inside of his sami with it several years ago and still looks new.

6. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Thats a nice looking truck, like the camo scheme. How thick is the finish, also how many gallons did you use, just two?

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Hmm i was thinking of rattle canning my rig white for easy trail touch ups... but i kinda like these colors now
    [​IMG]
    Jungle Camo
    and
    [​IMG]
    Midnight Blue
    are there any negatives that you've come across so far with this stuff?

8. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

The stuff goes on pretty think, we used an undercoat gun, and because of it, ended up using 2 and a half gallons and were still short. The roof it not even painted! There was nothing to speak of as far as over spray was concerned. The prime setup is a primer type, with a bigger tip, about a 2.0. Then a pressure pot setup, with about 40-50 psi. With this setup, 2 gallons will leave you with extra left over. SO far, I havn't had any problems to speak of, exept where i didn't sand quite enough. All it takes is a 180 grit sanding over all the existing paint, and your golden. But make sure you sand EVERYWHERE. cause it just flakes off on glossy spots.

Another beauty of this stuff is that they sell a little spray gun setup, that takes a quart, and rechargable pressure cylinders to do touch up over scrathes or flaked spots. What REALLY rules is the fact that you dont have to do any prep work to re-spray scratches or dings: just make sure its clean, and sand it a little bit, and spray. IT will blend right in!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif no after spray work needed exept maybe a little sanding. This works out great for driving through trees!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This stuff, if the surface is properly prepaired (just sanding and they sella primer fir it if theres bare metal) it sticks just like epoxy. Very Well, and it has flex too so you never have to worry about dents flaking it off.

This stuff kicks more ass than Jet Li. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The main question is, How much does it cost?

10. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

100 dollars a gallon. But you need nothing else, it comes ready to shoot. So for regular paint, you need thinner, catylist and anything else, that comes out to about the same. The quarts are $25.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was wondering if it costs more or less than herculiner, because that's what I'm considering right now.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Do you have a close-up of the texture? What type of gun do you use for the primer? Just a regular paint gun, or the pressure pot gun? This stuff looks really cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

go to this link and check out the colors. You can see the texture a little, it kinda feels like bed liner but a little smoother. You can use either an undercoat gun, which is what i used, and you use a lot of paint and it kinda comes out like spitting milw shake through a straw, (not controlled at all). But the ideal gun would be like i said before, a primer gun, with a big tip, like a 2.0 tip, with a pressure pot system, at like 40-50 psi. There is detailed instructions on the website as well. But make sure the gun you use has a big tip or the paint flakes will get jam it up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Cool, I was actually wondering about what to use to apply the primer itself, not the bedliner. Is the primer just like paint, or is it rough too?

15. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

you can use a regular gun for the primer. Just a standard gun, no need for the pressure pot.

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I think the K5, XJ, and c20 are all going to get this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Party on dude. let me know how they turn out!!! and remember when everybody is all amazed at how cool and awesome your rigs look, and you gatta beat all the ladies off with baseball bats cause they think your the sh*t, just remember me, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif