Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the hell...OIL PRESSURE...need help bad gang...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 24, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When my truck went into its auto-manual overhaul a few months ago, my oil pressure guage was always pegged at 60psi and the temperature gauge NEVER worked...Now I started and drove my truck for the first time since I swapped in a 465/205/14bff combo...now the temp gauge is reading about 200 degrees and the oil pressure gauge is pegged at ZERO now if my oil pressure was really less than like 5, wouldn't my computer (1987 K5 w/ TBI 350) shut off my engine...What would cause the gauge's to "flip" there functioning status like that?

Also I am assuming that it might be normal for my engine to smoke a bit considering it hasn't been run since March and the gas is that old? It was just smoking a lot more than it used to...

Chris

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like they knocked off the oil pressure wire and replaced the temp sending wire. 200 isn't horrible. Mine runs about that. If you didn't havee oil pressure your engine would be making some horrible sounds. And the temp would be waaaaaay out of line. I'd take it back and ask them to put the oil pressure sending unit wire thing back in it's place. It probably got yanked when they pulled the old tranny out.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

200 is where a FI truck should run. My bet is the sender wire got knocked off. On the 70's trucks the sender is behind the distributor. On your truck it might be above the oil filter on the side of the block right where they would have been working when they installed the clutch linkage. Sitting on 0 is where the gage will be if it's not hooked to the sender. Pegged oil pressure is where it would be if the wire was shorted out.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge!

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Grim,
    The sender on my 89 is under the distributer.

6. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Recheck your wires under your dash. sounds like something happened when you replaced the pedals under there. Watch the ground also.

7. fortcollinsram

But if the oil presure was actually ZERO i probably would've noticed it right? Noticed things like bad metalic sounds and rough operation....? What about the smoking, is that pretty normal for a tuck running for the first time since March with the same gas still in the tank?

Chris

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FWIW: I have "heard" that if the computer senses no or very low pressure it will prevent fuel flow at the injectorsv (safeguard). I have not verified this, but it's been said a few times.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, grounding the oil pressure sending wire should peg it in the 60PSI position. If you can get at the wire, and ground it, and the gauge pegs, the gauge/wiring to it should be good.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There is a seperate oil pressure switch that will cut the fuel pump off if there is no oil pressure. Also, the ECM will light the oil pressure light.

And these guys are right. A pulled-off wire will give you a zero reading.

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Don't mean to change the subject....... but what is FWIW and IIRC?

And yes, if you had 0 oil pressure you definately hear some complaining from the engine compartment. The smoke could be a number of things. Bad rings, bad valve seals...... don't think the gas would cause that tho. White or blue smoke?

12. fortcollinsram

FWIW mean "For what it's worth"
    and
    IIRC means "If I recall correctly"

and the smoke was a very light blue , but is smelled of raw gas...I dunno...the truck ran well it just smoke a bit...

Chris