Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the longest work day you've ever worked?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Apr 21, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what the longest work day you\'ve ever worked?

just curious.

last summer I worked a 25.5 hour day. i put in a 9 hour regular day at work. a few days before he asked me if i would help installing his pool, paid. (4.5 hours) and was asked earlier that day to work "a couple hours" installing VTS tile with him on 3rd shift. well turns out the "couple hours" turned into a 12 because the glue would not dry. he had a meeting a 8am so he left at 7am and i finished the room and around the door so i didn't get out till 9:30 am. i got 2.5xtime my normal pay at that job, because i was a crewleader at that jobsite plus i already had my 40 hours in. i made 360 bucks that one day /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the bad part was i had a 1 hour drive home.

fun times /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Re: what the longest work day you\'ve ever worked?

4 or 5 years ago my team and i worked for 36 straight hours, on salary. We met our goals but ended up losing a couple real good analysts (they quit) because the company didnt compensate for the time... had they stayed, they would have gotten a weeks worth of vacation and a jet boat ride down the rogue river as "payment" but thier loss

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

17 hours /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Work??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

24 hrs cause the last time I checked there is only 24 hrs in a day /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Actually I pull a 72 hr(strait) shift once a week /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif but I get paid well for it I do work more than that but thats only counting what I do strait.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I had a 24 hr once. I was in Hong Kong on the USS Carl Vinson and I got up at 630 and had to tart working then at about 630 I had to go to an 8 HR watch, that turned into a 12 HR because some ass hole didnt show up to relieve me. That was a shitty day.

Nick

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Longest workday of actual no-[darn] work - 19 hours.
    Longest workday of sitting-on-my-ass-behind-a-desk-answering-the-phone-for-barracks-residents work - 49 hours.

Both courtesy of the USMC...

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

ummmm... I think... about 16 hours... Right after Thanksgiving at the hotel, when I spent 3 days making $8.50 to put up christmas decorations and move furniture... I put in a lot of hours in 3 days... on the third day was the 16 hour one though... I had to perfect the big tree in the lobby, do two trees in the ballroom, move about 100 chairs (had help with that one though) and that was that...

10. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

41 hours straight... I was LELT (Leading engineering laboratory technician) on the USS Florida (SSBN 728) and it was my first ORSE (operational reactor safeguards examination). Got out of the rack at 0700, got back in at 0000 the NEXT night. Took written and oral tests, ran 10 hours of casualty drills, did a 6 hour record review, 4 hours of monitored evolutions, 2 steam generator blowdowns (with chemical adds), an overboard radioactive discharge, and stood 20 hours of watch. Was literally walking laps around the engine room for the last 6 hours of watch just to stay awake. You start to see strange things after about 36 hours.

11. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You start to see strange things after about 36 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

no [darn]. my longest day started in new jersey and ended in fontana, ca. some 2700 miles away.
    had a load of retail electronics with a guaranteed delivery time that was already late when i picked it up. i did my ten behind the wheel, then my team drivers ten, then my ten, then his ten, then another 3 in the freaking fog and finally got into the yard. was supposed to deliver it to the end warehouse but dropped it at the truck terminal and had my co driver taken to the hospital. he ended up having a stone surgically removed because it wouldn't pass but had already traveled half way down the deferens. slept for almost 7 hours before getting back on the road. its amazing what you can do when you have to.

12. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

My old man drove truck for about 25 years. I saw him do some hellacious trips like you describe. Livestock was the worst, stop for too long and they'll start to lay down and die. He had a really good pill collection to help him along, lucky it didn't kill him.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't have a REAL job yet so mine is 10 hours straight digging holes for a fence /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmmm, the longest day stretched way into the next day trying to bring up a dead server for a large bank in Midtown Manhattan. My longest week was working 116 hours in a 7 day period. Did at least 100 per week for 4 weeks straight, without a single day off. The good news is that after seeing what we could (and would!) do for them, the customer signed a 3-year, $500 million contract with us. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Made a buttload of money and got some serious bonus checks working on that project! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Also racked up 100K frequent flyer miles per year and got WAY tired of spending most of my life in a hotel room far away from home... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

36 hours straight.
    30+ hours was pretty common in the early 80's when I was working defense contractor and we were at test sites.
    Made lots of $$$ when I was hourly getting OT. Whe I went to salary, I got screwed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now its 40/wk and OT only when im forced to.

16. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Just over 72 hours.

Courtesy of the US Army. Our final weekend of PLDC at Ft. Sill was a 3 day training exercise, no sleep. After the first few days things start getting really strange. During the final day we were on a road march back to the rear and one soldier just sat down and started crying. We didn't see him any more after that. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    what the longest work day you've ever worked?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last day at work before starting a vacation. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Prolly about 30 hours trying to pick up the pieces of a corporate based migration. They sent us an "Expert" (who's strangely no longer with the company) that had no idea what he was doing, and botched the entire project, not to mention a T1 went down in the middle of it.

Needless to say, we found better ways to do the other 5 sites we needed to migrate...

[ QUOTE ]
    The last day at work before starting a vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Ain't that the truth!

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The most recent one I can think of, I was working doing cable modem installs. I left the house about 5am drove 1hr to work, done the whole day (usually got done about 8-9pm). I got a call from one of the newbies saying he was having problems. I showed up at the house about 9:30. It took him 6 hours to run the cable and get the computer setup to come to find out the modem was was not setup correctly. We spent 2 more hours on the phone with tech support getting it configured back at the office. Then there was a line problem. By this time it was midnight and the newbie had to get home so the babysitter could leave. So I stayed, ended up leaving there about 2am (this was the home owners choice I kept saying it was hooked up right and would be active first thing in the morning but he wanted me to stay till it was working /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I had three beers probley a 12oz steak, fries and some other sides... needless to say he was a cool guy I didn't mind staying to help out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif 2500 sq foot house just built, AWESOME wood floors, range top grill on the bar in the kitchen, HUGE projection screen tv). Drove over to the office slept for a couple hours in the van to kill some time. Ran over to a buddies house to the wash my clothes and shower, back to work for another day of 6:30-9pm. So probley 50hrs those two days with a 2hr nap /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I usually got up at 5am and was in bed about midnight most nights, 6 days a week. Done this for three months, checks where $750-1100 a week (paid PER install each install was $75-150 depending on if we had to do new drops or install extra outlets and other stuff some jobs took 45minutes some took 2 hours both paid the same, $200 a week extra for training and being a team leader). One day I had only one job, but they wanted 7 new outlets, cable modem, and two digital cables boxes... 7 outlets at $25 each, cable modem install $69, new drop from the pole $15, two digital boxes $28 each, I had two trainees with me that day. I think that weeks check was close to the 1100$ mark, $350 for just that one day in just over 8 hours. I took my trainees out for dinner that night /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

There was several benifits to that job... Tips being the main one, meeting all kinds of cool and scary people, driving from job to job and only being in the office for 15minutes in the morning to get paper work and modems, I had several women give me their daughters phone numbers /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif said I was a nice guy with a good job and was sweet /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, plus there was alot of single girls in Indy getting cable modems /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I spent about three hours at this one apartment. The girl fixed me lunch and we watched a movie ont his CUSHY black leather sofa to make sure here cable modem and digital cable box worked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (ps she was an arobics instructor and a hootiers waitress /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) And for those wondering yes we could have beer and fratrinize on the job but we COULD NOT be wearing the company polo shirt (so we just had to change shirts to dodge any legal liabilities for the company)

Back in the day when caterpillar here in Indiana was booming with business my pops worked 12 hours 6 days a week 10 on sunday for close to 2 years (paid holidays and vacation where double time /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

Just curious if people that do installs or in home repairs, if you remember the houses? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I can drive by 99% of the houses I done in Indy during a 3 month period (2 years ago) and I can tell you want they changed at the house and exactally how the inside was setup. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I worked in house trailers that had 20 dogs to the houses that had to have been in the millions of dollars ranges. Just doing this post I'm starting to think back to the houses and places I done installs, the people and houses /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Good times, I dont think I could count the number of times people invited me over to hang out, cooked me lunch or dinner, had me back out that weekend for a barbaque, called me or emailed me threw my work number about things other than work, even had a couple people offer me jobs (of course after I quit there they didn't have any positions open at the time /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)
    It was a fun job, heard some funny stories and I had some people talk my ear off /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious if people that do installs or in home repairs, if you remember the houses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Most of the homes I work in are huge and very expensive (basically, everything on LI is very expensive). Unfortunately, sometimes I remember them too well when I'm working on my own house...
    One would be surprised how trusting people are of repair guys. I had a guy call me a couple weeks after I'd set up his house, asking me to come right over and fix something. As it worked out, he couldn't be there when I could, so he left the front door unlocked and said to have at it.
    I haven't done any work for that side job in a while, though. Can't say I miss the work, but I do miss the money...