Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the... no start!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tacoma, Aug 2, 2005.

1. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

Alrighty! I'm going to try the internet LOL

89 Blazer w/350, TBI, has been exhibiting the following over the last say, week or so: when starting, have to turn the key, stop, then hit it again and it starts right up. Also the fuel gauge has been reading high by about 1/4 tank-- that started about a week and a half ago.

Blew the driveshaft u-joints the other day. Truck started and drove onto the trailer in fwd. Got it home, next day would not start to drive off the trailer. Battery checks out, no loose wires, starter seems to work as it is cranking over, but no fire.
    I swapped out some stuff along with the u-joints (ignition module, coil, cap, rotor, and fuel filter), mostly because one of the u-joints was an original 89 model... DSPO didn't maintain the truck I guess.

ANYWAY I got done with all that and figured that was all that could be wrong with it. Had my lovely assistant turn it over, no fuel at the injectors. There was plenty in the pipes and filter. Given that the fuel pump/sender are one unit and the gauge was reading funky, is it likely that the pump is bad? I am running out of time to fix this thing, but need to get it done soon.

any and all help appreciated! Thank you!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if over 80k on pump and work no work as you say bet pump. and gauge funny sender also. but dont let the little thinks kill you. check for good i mean good ground and also make sure power to pump in on position and in crank position. if both have power and good ground then pump. good luck.

p.s. need help with turning key to test power . pump will run 2-3 sec then off in on position and all time in crank.

3. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

ahhh crap. I've got good power to everything. I still have to have a helper so I can listen for the pump though... ARGH!

so let's play worst case scenario, pump gets power, motor cranks. Where to look next?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My setup I can hear the pump no problem. Just turn key to "run", not start, with the door open, and you should hear it prime for a couple seconds.

That of course doesn't mean it's building pressure! Likely, but not guaranteed.

Do you have spark?

5. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

spark, but nothing out of the pump. No clicking, whirring, spraying, or otherwise reacting whatsoever.

worst part? there is 20gal of gas in the tank. :mad: Oh well. At least it'll work when I get THAT done.

6. dyeager535

I think TBI setups allow you to force the pump to run through the ALDL connector and grounding or providing 12V to one pin, (TPI does) if not, there will be a wire off the relay harness that allows you to force the pump to run. That has been mentioned on this board before.

If you still can't get it to run, make sure 12V is getting to the pump by disconnecting the wiring harness to the pump right near the tank, and testing for 12V on the fuel pump wire. If you've got 12V there, you will have to drop the tank to find the problem. Probably the pump, but wires get ripped off, there is a connector in-tank to the fuel pump, etc.

If you've got 12V at that connector, sometimes banging on the tank will jostle the pump into working, or so I've heard. It can't hurt. At least if you can get the pump running, you can force it to run and drain the tank into a suitable container. Mine actually siphoned through the pump, you MIGHT try that from the fuel filter fittings, but it'll take some time, if you are in no hurry.

7. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

I just hooked up the pump to some jumper wires and sure enough, it's toast. Not even a peep out of it. The new one whirs away LOL.

So that kind of sucked getting the tank out: tomorrow I'm hitting the yard and cutting out a 12x12" square out of the bed of a beat Blazer (or a truck! even better), and cutting a 10.5x10.5" square out of the bed of MY Blazer. That way I can access the pump from the top.

DSPO made a lot of trouble for me. I had to take off:
    bumper
    fill strip between bumper and body
    trailer hitch (that REALLY sucked: spinning bolts because they put it on with the tank out and didn't weld the bolts. Bastards.... :mad: )
    skidplate.

Taking that damn filler hose off wasn't fun either. Oh well, it's done now, and my Blazer will run again. YAY!!!! :laugh:

8. dyeager535

Some say they have to pull the hitch, I had mine out and didn't.

No question it might be easier, but because of those bolts, I worked around it.