Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the quickest way to do it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Oct 18, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

I have to replace the flywheel on my ex-truck(1985 K20,350,350,4x4) and I just want to know if takin the tranny/t-case off would be quicker than takin the motor out?

And if its the tranny/t-case option winning, should i keep t-case on tranny or take em off seperatly?

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've done 3 in the last month. I got some long allthread used 2 of them in the bellhousing. One on each side, remove all the others, drivelines, shifter linkage, and crossmember bolts. With your jack under the tranny roll it back from the block enough to remove the flywheel bolts. Makes it an easy job for one man using the allthread as dials to line it all back up. Don't have to pull it all out.

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

thats a good idea. i was going to say that it would be easier to take the trans/t-case out but you just made it that much easier.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've always just gotten some 6" or so bolts. But the allthread is a good idea too! :D

Rick

5. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good way to do it, the only thing is that i'll have to do that outside but ill just use the good ol plywood sheet underneath the truck...I think i've been rolling around under cars since im 16...28 now :doah:

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thats funny i have to put a flywheel in my truck this weekend. asked my dad about the best way to do it and he said almost the same thing except to use long 3/8 bolts and just slide it back on the crossmember far enough to get your hand and a wrench in.

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It doesn't take much to get a wrench on the bolts. I like to get it back far enough to put a pull handle on them and then the old torque wrench.