Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What thermostat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

What thermostat should i use? I can be hard on my truck. I am just now getting the 83 running and before i start driving it i would like to replace the thermostat with something i know will work and be good for the engine. I beleive stock is a 195* which seems high. I am not super hard on engines but i can be at times. I am a person who likes to get to my speed then take it easy from there. I will romp on it from time to time no doubt.

What would be a good temp?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

195*. I know someone that likes 192* 'stats, but he's just being funny. :)

There are all sorts of tradeoffs running lower temp t-stats, with a proper cooling system, you don't need a cooler one.

3. Tannerman

Tannerman Registered Member

I agree with Dyeager535. I tried a 160 in my old motor for a little bit towards it end and now I've gone back to the regular 195 with a new motor I just put in. Stay with what the motor was designed with, the 195.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  4. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Go with the 195.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Stick with the stock 195* thermostat. Like the above said with a PROPERLY maintained and running cooling sys. 195 will be just fine. Remember, the truck was designed to run w/a 195* thermostat

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

The 195* is not to high, as you said you think it might be.
    Like every one says, if your cooling system is working proper you will be just fine.
    I run a 195* in my 82 blazer and at times i think its too low..lol
    With my high flow water pump, and 4 core radiator. it takes for ever to warm up, and open up. I can let the blazer warm up for about 5 min in the drive way, drive 15 miles to town, get on the freeway and drive 40 miles down the road, and it still will not have warmed up enough to open the 'stat.
    But on the other hand when its summer time, and i'm pulling a 26 foot trailer over the mountains for 6 hours straight, it never gets hotter than 205*

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Remember another thing running a colder that stock thermostat might/will cause all kinds of emissions problems.

Dan..

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a 180, i used to have a 160 but my heater didnt work very good with it but i like for my motor to run cool

9. kd7kmp

kd7kmp Registered Member

I have run everything from a 160 to a 195. I like running the 180. I have been running this for almost two years in all sorts of conditions and have not had any problems. I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy when I switched to the 180 from the 195. My emmision test results are the same as well. Run the 180 and call it good. It's a great compromise between the 160 and the 195.

Kevin

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

As my general rule of thumb:
    If it's carbureted use a 180.
    If it's fuel injected use a 195.
    Computers get pissy when you change running temps.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Every GM engine since 1968 uses a 195 degree thermostat..I find in many of the trucks I've owned that had a 160 stat ,sludged the oil up quickly,ran poorly in cold weather on shorter trips,and guzzled gas faster...and practically no heat either..here in new england,you NEED the heat as hot as you can get it..I've even put cardboard in front of the radiator when it gets near zero,and thats WITH a 195 stat!..

I noticed the hotter a chevy motor gets,the better it runs..until it reaches the boiling point of course..I also see some factory 205-210 degree stats in some FWD cars now..you get better thermal efficiency with the motor at the proper temp,and better mileage and lower emissions..and less carbon build up,and oil dilution too...

I recently removed a 180 stat from my 305 and put a new 195 in..its running better and I get a ton more heat..and its carbed,not injected..the computer motors ARE much more fussy about the thermostat being the right temp,and it MUST work properly too..mine was prone to carb icing on cool foggy days,and it didn't cure it,but its a lot better than before..:crazy:

12. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

The reason they run the engines hotter is to help pass emmisions. 160 is a little on the cold side but I have been thankfull I had my 180 in my truck on a few towing occasions. The benifit of running a colder t-stat is that you truck will be less prone to detonation, in result it dials in a little bit of timing, if it is efi. If its carbed it allows you to advance the curve a bit. If you run a cold stat with cold plugs you can actually pic up a little bit more HP, not to mention your vehicle will be less sensative to octane variations. Notice drag racers try and get their engines as cold as possible? Colder engines can produce more HP, but its a trade off at efficiency and sometimes longevity of your engine. If you run a 160 you'll be less likely to be able to burn off any condensation your engine may have made. I decided to go from the factory to the 180 because I tow a trailer with my Blaz. I need everything I can get on those big hills.

~Brian