Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what thickness tubing for bumpers/sliders???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jul 19, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just found a shop that i can use with a tube bender so i am going to try and start a rear bumper, i want to use 2" tubes but what is a good thickness?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

.120" minimum...

.156 or .188" would work well too.

.250" gets hard to work with.

Marv

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3/16" is all you'd prolly ever need. If overkill is your thing, 1/4" would work to. At some point thicker material is pointless... since it all bolts to a frame thats a heck of a lot thinner than 1/4" anyway. All you'd be doing is adding weight really. Personally, I'd rather have my bumper cave in before it tweaks the hell out of my frame! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

4. sapper

thanks Marv i was pretty sure that was it but wanted to double check... i'll be in Ca next week untill the mid of sept. come back close out the year and will be Az by mid feb /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd rather have my bumper cave in before it tweaks the hell out of my frame!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then use .125" wall Jason. The frames are not boxed and are only .150"-.155" thick. .188" is way overkill IMO. My rear bumper is .125" wall 2" x 8.5" box tubing and you can ask Shannon yourself how well it did after taking a 77 F-100 at 55 mph. Yes it did bend and the backside is somewhat collapsed but it did more than I ever expected out of a bumper...prevented much worse body damage without causing any apparent frame damage. .188" wall doesn't sound too much heavier than .125" wall, but it weighs 50% more per foot than .125" wall. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif That adds up in a hurry!

Rene

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My front and rear bumpers are in my webshots pics if ya wanna see them.
    1/4" wall 5" diameter tubing.

7. sapper

good points, thanks everyone, i got the fountdation done today and can bolt it up tommarow after the paint drys. what i did was cut some off the frame and squared it up then using the holes in it already made 2 braketsout of 1/4 inch flatbar 3"s wide then had a piece of 2x3 put in the middle. the 2x3 is 1/4 inch thick but i wanted that part to be beefy because i'v been scared of getting rearended and the tank getting damaged with the kids in the back, you know putting 2 in and out is hard when both of them are car seats to that part might be overkill but its done so oh well, i should have a little oiece of mind with the little ones, the reat of it will be 1/4 " tubing to go around the sides and i'm going to try and make some armor for under the tank as well, dont know how that will be but going to give it shot. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif