Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What thickness wheel spacers do I need for the rear of my truck?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EZdoesit, Dec 6, 2001.

1. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

Subject line pretty much says it all, I'm going to buy some spacers from performance wheel and I need to know how thick I need to even out my front and rear track width, I thought I heard once that the rear axle was 3" narrower than the front, so then I would need 1.5" spacers. Is that correct? I am running stock 10 bolt axles.

87 K5, all stock so far, except for some rust

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You are correct. 1.5 will do it.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

1 1/2" is what you want.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

1.5" is right. Just ordered mine about a month ago. Only problem I had is that the stock lugs are 7/16 while the ones they put in the spacers are 1/2". I had a booger of a time getting lug nuts on the 1/2" studs because of clearance issues with my wheels. I had to use a thin-walled socket.

They will send you new lug nuts with the spacers, but don't forget, you will need open lug nuts to bolt the spacers to the original lugs.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. EZdoesit

Hey thanks tx85gmcguy, I hadn't even thought about lug nut issues. That should save me an emergency parts store run for lug nuts in the middle of the job! :)

6. 674x4

674x4 Registered Member

What is the advantage of having the same track width? I belive they made it that way for a reason. I always thought it was for steering ability. tighter turns.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

On the trail it helps sometimes to have your tires front and back go through the same path. Its kinda annoying when you guide your front end through some well-placed ruts and just when you are thinking about the _next_ obstacle, the rear end starts sliding around because it doesnt hit the same ruts, but the steep/muddy sides of the ruts. Sounds like a cheedy reason...but I know it annoys me sometimes on the trail.

That, and the fact that a wider track is always harder to roll, all else being equal.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

8. EZdoesit

I want more stability, and I think it looks stupid to have the rear wheels in further than the front, almost as bad as a truck that's sagging in the rear.

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i have a set of 1.5in billet spacers that i bought from performance wheel and tire recently for 150 they are 6-lug and make the rear the same as the front. doing a 1 ton conv. next week and i dont need these now. if anyboby wants them call me at 303-948-3529 thx-j.c.

10. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Still have them? How Much???

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer