Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Timing! Need Some Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Texan, Feb 17, 2000.

1. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

An audio section, what timing! I just spent a couple of hours hitting several local stereo shops this afternoon trying to figure out what to put in my '89. The CD player in my old Alpine tuner has finally died on me and it's time to replace. I have an old set of Kenwood mid's and tweet's to go in up front but not sure what I want to put in the rear (Currently factory 4x10's). I'm not looking for alot of thump but I would like to get a sub or two in somewhere; just don't want to give up any space to boxes. Anyone ever installed sub's in the panels just in front of the rear seat or in place of the rear speakers (I think I saw a post on this topic not too long ago)? I'm leaning towards a CD tuner with a decent 4 channel amp built in to power the mid's/tweet's up front and possibly a pair of full range Kenwood 4x10's out back. In addition I would also run the deck preout to an old amp of mine to drive the sub's. Anyone have a similar system or suggestions on a clean, affordable, and unobtrusive system plan?..

Thanks,

Steve

2. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

How much work can you do on your own? I personall order most speakers that i buy from Parts Express and you can save ton's of money and put together better products with the equipment that they can supply you with, do you have all the wire that you need? if not MECI is the place to get moster cable dirt cheap. if you have any questions let me know. and buy the way 4*10's really sound horrible i know your probably not trying to build a syphony hall or anything but for the money it's better to go for a 6*9 or if you can afford it componts sound even better, for about $139.00 you can buy the 6*9 from pioneer that has a horn tweet in the middle and that sounds 10 times better than any 4*10 but you would have to do some modify, running new wire back there would not hurt eithwe if you still have the stock set up.
    anthony

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip on Parts Express. I'll check them out. I also found a place called Smile Photo and Video that sell's car stereo stuff on-line and seems to have better pricing than anything I found locally. I do all my own work and don't mind doing a little trimming to fit 6x9's in the 4x10 location; I just haven't ripped into it to take a look at what kind of space there is to work with back there. Honestly, I don't even care if I have full range sound in the back. I haul so much stuff that I usually can't hear the rear speakers anyway! I would give up that space in a heartbeat to get a sub or 2 in back there...

Thanks,

Steve

4. I have Two Fifteen JL's and I don't have any space, I can just fit the spare in. I've been trying to work on a box that can hold at least one fifteen an not take up as much space but as you all know, it ain't easy. I'm trying to go with a 15' because there is so much space and not cause I like rap. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'll do the same.

5. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I would ditch the 4x10s in the back. I had a set of Pioneer 4x10s in my 86 and they sounded like crap. I replaced them with a set of Kenwood 6x9s in boxes and put them on the rear wheel wells. they sound a lot better than the 4x10s.

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I don't even know where the original rear speakers go. I have speakers in the side panels in front of the rear seat...like you said. I've heard of others making those panels their box....install the subs behind the panel. if you don't want to take up space i'd say stick 'em in the panels.....

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

7. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Yep. That's what I was talking about originally. I think there was a post a few weeks ago where someone said they had put sub's, either 8"s or 10"s, in the panels in front of the wheel wells? I was hoping to get some feedback on how that worked out. The factory 4x10's (maybe it was an option?) are in the same panels but behind the wheel wells. It wouldn't bother me to put sub's in those spots instead if there is room...

Thanks,

Steve[​IMG]

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Check with Crutchfield or some other dealer for a 8" or 10" Kicker Solo-Baric sub. The 8" takes a .66 cu. ft. box and sounds great...I have one in my noisy old '74.

Michael <font color=blue>2WD's are cool!</font color=blue>[​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.html

9. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    i see a lot of you talking about what size speakers to use i did some looking around and i can find only one 8' that will fit in the stock side panels and barely i would not suggest fitting anything over a 6*9 in those side panels i don't know about the rest of you but i'm trying to draw the line between music and tools i've decided that two independantly boxed 10' woofers are about all the room that i'm willing to spare and at that i plan on haveing a quick diconect system just in case i need the room. and even the tens that i have chosen work well in a small sealed incloser i'm really against piking out brand name speakers unless there is some kind of unbelievable warentee behind then as i have said before read the spec's i can almost garentee that you can find a speaker 10 times chaper for the money if you look around in the cat's that i have mentioned. especially for those of you that are willing to do things are your own. by using bannana jacks for the subs you'll have a quick release system for your sub which is somthing that i plan on doing. if any one has any specifc plans or questions e-mail me and i can tell you about the options that i know about.
    Anthony

10. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I built a box for two 12" Kicker XPL's in the back of mine without losing much space at all. You can still slide long things in and load stuff in there without a problem. You can check it out at

www.sounddomain.com/5518

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

See my response to earlier post about "back panels".

Blazer #5 - A sickness worth investing in!! :-)

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I had an awesome set of separates, I installed the tweeters in the upper part of the door. I took some 1/2 mdf and formed it to the bottom of the door by removing the carpeting that was already there and using it as a template. I used a baffel from crutchfield behind the speaker so it wouldnt get wet and installed in in the front of the panel. it looked stock and I got tight low bass that shook the mirrors...I also had a fosgate punch 100 running them, which ended up blowing them. I think this would work good in your situation because you could actually run a free air 8" sub in the door...then your separates. Adding poly fill to the doors helps dampen the bass but it would get wet and mold...I have done all of my own installs since I had my first monte carlo when i was 16..dont be afraid to drill, cut hack, torch or use C4!!