Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what tire is better????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badzr2, Mar 18, 2002.

1. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

Well, it time to buy tires. I'm looking at some 33X10.50-15's, only cause I really don't want to change my wheels yet and 12.50's won't fit on a 15x7 wheel. So my choices are between a super swamper tsl radial and a bfg mud terrain km.
    Which arte better. I do some light to medium 'wheelin' in mud and light trails but no rocks yet. THanks...

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you spend most of your time on pavement, or do you do alot of off pavement wheeling? If you do alot of pavement then the BFG's would probably be better for you. They are quieter on pavement, and wear better on pavement. They do pretty well offroad too. If you spend alot of time offroad then Swampers might be a good choice. They are loud on pavement and wear quicker then BFG's though. Also they are probably a fair piece louder then BFG's on pavement too.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

33x12.50/15 will fit on a 7" rim. It keeps the tire from unbeading when you are running at low psi. I know people that run 33.12.5 and 35x12.5 on 7" rims

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

The BFG is a special tire for mud and has a strength sidewall to protect against roots in the mud. For a MT, it runs very smooth.
    The TSL has more performance in stony areas.

What’s about the Thornbird?

5. Hossbaby50

Thornbirds suck. Everything I have ever heard about them is all negative. There tread pattern is very tight which is not good for mud.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

33x12.5x15 BF Mudders

good wear, nice street mannerisms and relivitly cheap

damn my speeling is worse than usual today/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get the Swampers. I have the BFGs and I wish I'd got the Swampers.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Ran BFG's M/T,and currently have the Radial TSL's.. The BFG's are more $$$ but will last longer...

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should look into the Explorer ProComp X-Terrains. They are on sale on 4wp. Buy 4 for the price of 3. They look like they have the right balance between street manners and offroad capabilities. I haven't tried them, but I'm sold on them.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The X-Terrain's have a soft rubber compound just like the Swampers so they will wear about the same. I'm running BFG MT's right now and I wish I had gotten swampers.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

why cant you run 12.5 on a 7in rim? i run 38x13x16in swampers on 16x6.5in rims

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Like has been said, you can run 12.50s on a 7" rim no problem, know several people who do. If you want to hear yourself think, go with the BFGs - great all around tire and wear pretty well...

13. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I am in the same situation. Was going to run Goodyear MT's, but everyone is telling me to go Super Swamper SX's.

Same arguement applies, the Goodyears are really good, and very good on pavement, but supposedly the Super Swampers are supposed to be superior off-road to the Goodyear MT's. Depends on where you do the most driving I guess.

Still have not made up my mind but leaning to the Super Swampers SX's.

14. Hossbaby50

I was really impressed with the MTR"s when I saw them on DesertDuelers truck. They are only made to 35" though. (37's are available for $400+each). I am a die hard BFG fan, and am set on BFG MT's, but the MTR's almost make me want to change. If I found a good deal on them I would be all over MTR's.

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Between the BFG MTs and the Goodyear MTRs in the mud I would say MTRs all the way. Last weekend I got stuck in very little mud at the lake trying to pull my boat out on my BFG MTs. They just caked full of mud and I spun like crazy. I have taken my MTRs through alot worse mud and had no problem. I have even pulled my buddies 4Runner out of 2 feet of mud no problem. MTRs for all around driving. SXs for hardcore wheeling.

16. Hossbaby50

Watching you wheel has almost convinced me to buy MTR's, but I will probably go with bfg's because when one of my 32's gets cut I can probably get them to upgrade tires size for cheap. 32-33, and one day 33-35.

17. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

well thanks everyone. i've been told that 12.50's wouldn't fit on 15x7 wheels, but they probably just said that so i had to buy some wheels too. hmm, maybe I will look at those MTR's.........

18. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

True that on thornbirds! I used to work at tires plus. There was a guy that came in about once a month because he had whole tread blocks fall off his tires, he had a warranty so he jsut got new ones all the time. The tread would actually peel off the carcas, not very safe.

19. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

oh one more thing. I ran a set of 33x12.5 BFG muds on a 95 F-150, got 55,000 miles out of them before replacing. Pretty darn good for a mud tire!

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I saw a guy loading 4 brand new Thornbirds mounted on brand new 589's into his Bronco at work today. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the expence he just paid for that garbage. Oh well, my tires are about bald so I shouldn't judge.

Tom