Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Tire Size is best?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by eatsjeeps, Dec 19, 2002.

1. eatsjeeps

eatsjeeps Registered Member

Well howdy All from Portland Oregon
    I have Graduated finally after 11 yrs of land cruiser ownership to be a proud father of an 89 silverado package 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I really like the room Now the whole family can go on exscursions with me.
    I was wondering what was the best size tire for this /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Also any tips and or suggestions for mods?
    It has the 350 TBI
    4spd auto tranny
    31x10.50's
    Paid $2000 It was not perfect but with the help of Muddytazz and a couple of others on the board I have made it run tip top now.
    NOW IT IS TIME TO THINK ABOUT MODS
    ANY HELP OR THOUGHTS <font color="red"> </font color> Marty

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was wondering what was the best size tire for this

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is pretty vague really, it really all depends on what you will be using this for, how much wheeling you will be doing and what kind of wheeling. As of right now, i'm happy with my 7" of lift and 33's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (yes my tires are small, I'm looking at getting 36's or 38's when these are toast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). A basic lift is just gonna be front springs and rear blocks (unless you go rear springs also). Another way to go (do a search, the search button is you friend /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )is with a shackle flip in the rear (but MY opinion, others will vary, is if you plan on towing with your burb, do not do a shackle flip). Anyways, ask more questions, but remember, most of your questions can and more than likely will be answered by doing a search. Lots of info on this site if you dig for it.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have you figured out what the axle gear ratio is? That will be a big help in determining the right way to go. For a daily driver that will see moderate off-road use, I think that a 4 inch lift and 35's is a sweet setup. You'll have to do a bit of fender trimming, but the rig won't be so tall that it's difficult to climb in and out of. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like my 36x12.50s they're nice but i kinda like the skinny tire look, my next set will probably be 38x14.50 SXs. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Welcome! I'm out in Gresham, we have a dozen or so locals.

I just sold a full blown one ton K5 with a TPI406 motor for the same reason you mention below - 'so whole family can go'..........true story.

Ask yourself what you're gonna do with the Burb first. Actually wheel it? Or take it camping/hunting/whatever?

Mine is a 91 3/4 ton. Has a factory Gov Lok in the rear which is fine for now, regardless of what the masses say. If it was to be wheeled a lot, I'd drop in a 14BFF and a Detroit, but for now a SF 14 is plenty. Mine will be used mainly for camping and hunting, so I'm lifting it either 4" or 6" and go with 35" tires, probably Xterrains. Wheeling will be Sand Lake only and whatever I run into hunting.

Here's an idea for ya - allocate the $25 for membership with CK5 and come on over to the PNW board and introduce yourself.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I'd consider 35" as a max tire size for the 700r4 tranny. I blew 6 of them in the wife's '90 Sub (4.56 gears, 35" BFGs) before finally getting disgusted enough with the tranny to replace it with a TH400. Don't plan to tow anything with it either, as our Suburban never towed anything in it's life and it blew 700 trannys with regularity!!! THAT got expensive!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Agreed............except that I have a 4L80E tranny in my Burb.............. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

did someone put it in there? Cuz 4l80e's only came out in '91. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

It IS a 91............... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. eatsjeeps

eatsjeeps Registered Member

I was thinking of 4inch lift and 35s as well but i am not sure how to figuire out gear ratio of axels.
    Also tranny is 1.5yrs old was put in by previous owner who used truck to haul back hoe and trailer around to job sites, tranny has 2 coolers side by side infront of radiator.
    Not sure of model of tranny other than it is 4spd w/overdrive.
    I plan to use the truck as daily driver and am looking for optimal tire for road use and to be agreeable to power output it currently has, and to maintain optimal fuel mileage. I will also use this rig for off road trips (mostly fluff stuff till I learn this rig.) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It will also be used as the road trip rig so driveability is important.
    Hopefully this is enough info to help with your ansewers.
    Tranny info (as to what is in there) would be helpful as well.
    Portland Oregon area listers please respond to my private box as I would like to meet some of you and see your rigs as well as get the boys ages (3 &amp; 6) out sometime.

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Is this a 1/2 ton rig? If so, 35s are pushing the limits of that Camaro rear end (10 bolt). Most times they grenade the ring and pinion without warning. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is if you replace the 700r4 is with a GM certa. I have had no problems with them. I towed my boat hundreds of times with 35s and 3.42 gears. No problems. Now I am on 38.5" with 4.56 gears and tow with no problems.A rebuild and a GM certa is totally different. Not only that it comes with a 3tr/50,000 mile warranty.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif