Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What tire would you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Mar 11, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Are 315/75/16 equivalent to a 35X12.50 tire?? The reason I am asking is because I got the ok from the wife to get new tires. I am kind of partial to the Goodyear MTRs but can get the pro comp xterrains for the same price. What tires would some of you guys reccomend. I mostly wheel with my K5 not much street driving.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Quick Question!!!!

yes

3. stallion85

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

QUICK ANSWER!

34.6 tall
    12.3 inches wide!

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The Pro Comp is a crappy mud tire, if you find any of that where you live....

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running the MTR's and really like them. Alot of the AZ crowd runs MTR's and everyone I have talked to about them like them too.

The MTR's are pretty damn tough tires too. I have seen some of the hardcore AZ guys beat the hell out of them in the rocks and have held up really well.

Harley

7. stallion85

Yea, I will agree with you on that one. I currently run 32" mtrs but they just look too small on my rig. I am getting 35's hoping I will only need to do a little fender trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif I will also be getting new rims. Is there anything special I should order with them, I was thinking 16X8 would be perfect. I have heard guys talk about back spacing but do not know what it means ore how it affects the tire. I think I have an idea /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of the Ground Hawg, but I paid over $300.00 each for my 36's. You may want to look at the Maxxis Creepy Crawler. Those would have been my second choice. [​IMG]

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

MTR's. I have the 37" and I think they are great. I did put a small stick into one, but stuff happens no matter what tire you have. I am very happy with them so far.

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Like Harley said, I'm a hardcore MTR fan, bought mine used with a road hazard and have flogged them real good since.

I love the tread design and the rubber compound, but hate the sidewall thickness. I have cut at least 10 sidealls over the last year. But I run them hard, and don't worry too much about them once they are mounted. It's the nature of the beast with a radial.. I'm going to bump up to a 37" tire once these are trashed.

You can't go wrong with a MTR even with the sidewall issues. Keep in mind the 35" tire only measures around 33.5 inches tall.

Rob

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Like Harley said, I'm a hardcore MTR fan, bought mine used with a road hazard and have flogged them real good since.

I love the tread design and the rubber compound, but hate the sidewall thickness. I have cut at least 10 sidealls over the last year. But I run them hard, and don't worry too much about them once they are mounted. It's the nature of the beast with a radial.. I'm going to bump up to a 37" tire once these are trashed.

You can't go wrong with a MTR even with the sidewall issues. Keep in mind the 35" tire only measures around 33.5 inches tall.

Rob

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I highly recommend Super Swamper TSLs in your favorite size.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have done BFG MT's and MTR's. For mud BFG, everything else is an MTR. The only thing better is a krawler (those are wow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) I agree the sidewalls are not the thickest but they are at least 25% thicker than a BFG MT or any other tire (except a krawler). The TSL's just don't work in desert rock like you would expect. The MTR's are also a larger size than other tires. As for procomps they are good but won't outdo an MTR. Maybe I am just partial to MTR's so this is only my .02

14. stallion85

5 mtr's on the way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif