Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what tires measure up??my groundhawgs say 40" but they aint 40s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

what tires measure up??my groundhawgs say 40\" but they aint 40s

i measured them, only come up with 37.5" tall and still have good tread on em . but i was going to trade them in for a set of 39.5" TSLs and was wondering do they measure a full 39.5"?? do any tires for that matter??

thanks matt

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: what tires measure up??my groundhawgs say 40\" but they aint 40s

Every tire is different, but they pretty much invariably come up shorter than advertised, some by quite a lot! I hate lawyers and the "litigious society" but I would love to see a class action against all tire manufactures on this point. It’s definitely one of my pet peeves. As far as I can tell, it's pure false advertising any way you slice it. One good thing, it seems the new IROKs are actually fairly close to stated size (less than an inch smaller from what I recall) and I think they are fairly unique at that in the large off-road tire market.

Anyway, seems like someone said those 39.5 TSLs were just over 38, but I don't recall for sure. You should be able to search and find the specifics if someone else does not have first hand knowledge.

3. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Most tires mounted on the wheels with the weight of the vehicle will measure short. My 38" Boggers on my Blazer are on 15x10's mearsure just over 36". My new 39.5" TSL's on my other truck on 15x10's measure right at 39".

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well Denman says 40" hawgs are 39"... but when you buy a set..they are approved for a 9.75 wide rim...hence if you go with a wider rim the tires are smaller... I am glad that my new 40's on 16.5x12 rims are 38.7" as NJ will only allow 38" tires through inspection now... I just wanted the wider tire ... even thought a 17x40x16.5 says 17" wide.. that measurement is from the tread on the sidewall all the way to the other side... thus the true width is 14".... all 38's are like 11" wide...so I wanted the wider stance for stabitity... but gonna have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif after I lower the front 4" and rear 3" as I already would hit ... if I got to drive the truck!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

"well Denman says 40" hawgs are 39""

what is that? tire math? /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    even thought a 17x40x16.5 says 17" wide.. that measurement is from the tread on the sidewall

[/ QUOTE ]

That measurement is called section width. It is measured from bulge to bulge. Draw an imaginary line through the tire from one sidewall to the other at the point where they are widest, and that's where they get that measurement.

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Some friends of mine recently had the chacne to compare a 44" TSL, 42" TSL, 39.5" Irok, 39.5" TSL, and 36" MTR all side by side. The 44's were mounted on a 15x10 rim so that kind of screws that deal. The 39.5 TSL's were at 50-60% (17/32") tread. The MTR's, well who cares about those.

Unmounted the 42" TSL's standing next to the Iroks were shorter. The 39.5" TSL looked like a baby to the IROK. The Irok measured 40 3/4". The 42" TSL measured 39.75". The mounted (8.75" Hummer Rim)42" TSL meausred 41". My Irok mounted on the same rim measures 40 1/2"

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Every tire is different, but they pretty much invariably come up shorter than advertised, some by quite a lot! I hate lawyers and the "litigious society" but I would love to see a class action against all tire manufactures on this point. It’s definitely one of my pet peeves. As far as I can tell, it's pure false advertising any way you slice it. One good thing, it seems the new IROKs are actually fairly close to stated size (less than an inch smaller from what I recall) and I think they are fairly unique at that in the large off-road tire market.

Anyway, seems like someone said those 39.5 TSLs were just over 38, but I don't recall for sure. You should be able to search and find the specifics if someone else does not have first hand knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say interco is actually pretty accurate with tire sizing, my 39.5" TSL's measure 38.75" mounted and with the weight of the truck on them (19 psi). Sounds shorter than advertised...until you measure the circumference and it is 123.5". True diameter of the tire is 123.5 / 3.141 = 39.318".

That is on a tire with about 75% tread left.

Rene

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Unmounted the 42" TSL's standing next to the Iroks were shorter. The 39.5" TSL looked like a baby to the IROK. The Irok measured 40 3/4". The 42" TSL measured 39.75". The mounted (8.75" Hummer Rim)42" TSL meausred 41". My Irok mounted on the same rim measures 40 1/2"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny. My 42's, on 9.75" rim, about half tread, on the truck, measured 41"