Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what tires to run for mud racing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by strokerace, Mar 2, 2004.

1. strokerace

strokerace Registered Member

I im bulding a mud racer for cma in wi what tires shoud I run the max size is 35.5' they say in street stocks I have a stock 350 with a 4 speed in a 1968 chevy short box /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif what do the mud racers think???

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I im bulding a mud racer for cma in wi what tires shoud I run the max size is 35.5' they say in street stocks I have a stock 350 with a 4 speed in a 1968 chevy short box /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif what do the mud racers think???

[/ QUOTE ]

i go to alot of NMRO mud events, my uncle actually works tech inspection alot of the time. cut boggers seem to be the tire of choice at the events i've been to.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Alot of classes require a unmodified DOT tire
    I would say go with wide boggers out back and the real skinny ones up from, Boggers are great mud tires as long as you have the power to push them also you might want to look into a bogger rear tsl front combo

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

35x16-15 Super Swamper BOGGERS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

boggers hands down /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I raced local mud tracks for about 4 years and I agree with CHEVY 4WD.

For the fast tracks you'll need fat tires in the rear and skinny up front. The reason for mixed widths is that the skinny ones will act like a rudder keeping the truck straight and the fat ones obviously for traction.

For a deep pit you'll want a really fat tire for flotation. Skinny tires do dig deeper for traction but most tracks get progressively deeper so at some point it's deeper than the skinny tire is tall. The fat tire will help displace the weight pushing towards the bottom.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Typically tall and skinny is what the winners run here.

8. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you are talking mud drags where the mud is only a few inches deap, I would go with 35x14.5x15 boggers in the rear and 34x9.5x15 TSLs in the front.

9. strokerace

this is mud racing where 95% of the people get stuck in the class im in but if you make it across then its based on times One of the first races is in dresser its always in the 4x4 mags /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Its gong to be fun I think its like 20 events right now

10. strokerace

I have seen this mud eat 44' alive in glenwood city one of the cma events

11. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

When I used to race, the mud was only like 6" deep or so usually, and I ran 34x9.5 TSLs up front with 33" Boggers in the rear. Even in that shallow of mud, the guys running boggers up front with a basically stock motor usually didn't do so well, you need horsepower for the boggers to work well in racing. I would suggest going with a TSL on the front and a Bogger rear. If the tires are slightly different sizes, keep the fronts slightly taller, this will help you keep the truck straight through the pit. Size and width depends on track conditions, if the pits aren't that deep, I'd say stick with a smaller tire, everybody running in the top of the classes around me, usually ran smaller tires. I ran an altered stock class, where maximum tire size was 35", three out of the top four trucks in the class ran the same tire combo I did.

Definitely don't run cut boggers, from what I've seen, you need lots of horsepower to keep them spinning, stick with an unmodified tire.

I would also suggest removing a couple of leaf springs fromt the rear packs if you can get away with it, it will help you on the launch, as weight is transferred a little more to the rear, and you launch faster/harder.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

id go with the bridgestone dueler AT... its a mean tire. get like 31x10.50s

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifJ/K /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif id run boggers

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    35x16-15 Super Swamper BOGGERS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bingo! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I do a lot of mud racing with friends, not competition but I am hard to beat! I haven't been beat by any of my friends but I'm also the only one running boggers and most of the other guys have stock motors. I would like to do some actual competition but probably would get my ass handed to me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have 35x16's and they hook up great in about 4" to 8" of mud when trying to get off the line fast. Like everyone said, it takes a good power plant to keep them spinning fast and even with my motor I have a harder time in really deep mud in 4HI.

I have a question...Is a 4spd good for mud racing? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It would seem you could be much faster with a slushbox. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Stick with an auto for mud racing, it can shift much faster than you can. Also, depending on your motor, go with a stall converter, or there is at least one company that builds special torque converters specifically for mud racing, it's similar to a stall, but it will never lock up. You can't drive down the road, but it works a hell of a lot better than a regular stall (I know because I used to run one).

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Stick with an auto for mud racing, it can shift much faster than you can.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats what I was thinking.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I couldn't agree more there. SM 465 sucks in a way for mud, because once you pick a gear, you're stuck.

I tend to err on the lower gear side so I don't bog down, but sometimes that leads to over-revving which cost me one motor already so now I run an MSD 6AL to eliminate that problem.