Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jul 27, 2004.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I want a set of 36 or 37 inch tires for my truck, but im not sure what to get yet. I like the Goodyear MTR's a lot, I have 33's on it now and theyre great on and offroad. Im thinking either 37 MTR's or 37 Super Swamper SSR Radials, but im open to suggestions. Here is what I need: long tread wear because they will mostly see pavement, decent offroad capabillities, good traction in snow, 36 12.50 or 37 12.50's, 16 inch wheel but possibly 17 inch wheel size, and at least a load range d capacity. I know those are tough requirements lol but im sure someone can help me out. The MTR's only come in a 37 inch size for 17 inch wheels, I need new wheels anyway, but im worried about the extra weight of a larger wheel and a larger tire. Would a 17 inch wheel weigh much more than the stock 16 inch wheels? My 33's on Outlaw II wheels didnt make much of a difference in stopping distance, im worried a bigger wheel would hurt my stopping abillities a lot.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went with the Ground Hawg 2's because they wear like iorn (Last along time if you also drive on the streets) and because they have a very aggressive tread patteren.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have never used them but my cousin has the 37" SSR's on his Dodge Diesel and he got about 40K on the last set... he must have liked them because he just bought them again. My brother had the SSR's on his F350 for a while, but he sold the truck before he got a chance to put too many miles on them. I think the MTR's are probably a little more aggressive off road than the SSR's, but also have a shorter life span.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

MTR's do come in 37x12.5x15's. Not just 17's.

I run 35" MTR's on my truck that is a mix of DD and offroad work. I love my MTR's and think they are an awesome offroad tire but they do have one semi-downfall.

Mud is not there best environment. If you keep them spinning they will clean but they don't clean that well unless spun. If you run alot of mud like you are talking about I would get the SSR's.

I would also get them in the 16" variety so you get the 10 ply sidewall instead of the 6 ply like most of the 15" and others have. They are tougher.

Harley

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the 37x12.50 SSR's and couldn't be happier for a "both worlds" tire. I have no weight on mine and they ride good up to 75-80 MPH. They also do very well off road. Not a Bogger or an SX but great tire. Supposed to get around 30,000 from them. Derf00 ran the 37's for awhile and now runs the 38x15.50. He also has good things to say about them /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well it sounds like the SSR's are worth the money. I was just worried that they would wear fast like most super swampers do, but everyone thats had them has told me they wear really good, so I guess ill get the 37 12.50 16 SSR's. If the MTR's came in a 16 inch wheel I would have to think more on it but I dont want to change my wheel size. Do the SSR's do okay in snow?

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

my friend ran SSRs on his chevy stepside, those tires lasted an unreal amount of miles. He got well over 60,000 miles on them which was almost all highway. They were great in snow but sucked in ice.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, if you are going to see lots of mud, go with SSRs... if not, MTRs are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j