Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What To Beef Up For A Snow Plow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Howdy All;

I finally found a plow for the front of the Blazer. It's a 7' wide blade, and an Artic model. The hydralics are under the hood. The extra weight is around 700 pounds.

I don't want to kill my Blazer this winter. I am mainly using it for my private road about 3/4 of a mile, and I'm sure all my buddies will want their driveways plowed (and probably for free).

What I need for input is what do I need to do to beef up the Blazer? It's an 86 Silverado, totally stock all around except the tires.
    305, 208, 31" BFG A/T, duel exhaust, 308's.

I already checked the "Chuck's Chevy Pages" but it looks like they haven't updated their snow plowing info for a year.

Thanks guys;

Blazer One, Deer None!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

First thing that comes to mind is Steering Box at the frame!! Make sure you have the frame reinforce there!! Also mabie add extra Xmembersat the front of the frame!
    Weight in the rear so the back isnt too light?? Bigg titres and lockers or atleast posi.....Oh and a working heater[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Beef up your front springs with an add-a-leaf so that it doesn't wear them out faster with that extra weight. You also have to consider the strain pushing that snow around will put on those springs.

There might also be a need to look into what the wiring harness will do to your elec. system. It might be a good idea to beef up your alternator, and get a higher output one.

Other than that, I don't know.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Would also add a tranny cooler and engine oil cooler. If you don't already have them. Get the biggest trans cooler you can. Have fun.

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Some good advice there guys, I already have a BIG HONK'IN tranny cooler. I don't know about the oil cooler. Hopefully my shi%$y 305 will blow and I'll have to put a NICE BIG BLOCK IN ER.

What about the 308 gearing? Are these gears sufficient to push snow?

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What kind of tranny do you have? Is it the 700R4? I would think the 3.08's are a little tall for pushing snow.
    Not too long ago I saw a Blazer that had been used as a plow truck. This truck had some bracing going from the rad support back to the firewall, I guess to re-enforce for the plow. Mind you I think the plow on this one was partially mounted to the body. Not too sure because the plow wasn't on it but why else would it be re-enforced like that?
    Is the plow you have mounted to the frame only?
    As for pushing the snow I guess a lot depends on how wet the snow is and the angle of the blade. If you do have the 700R4 I would consider swapping gears for something a little deeper, like maybe 3.73's or even 4.11's, your tranny will thank you [​IMG]. Besides, then you can run 35's in the summer and put the 31's on for plowing [​IMG] in the winter.

Rene

[​IMG]