Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to buy, what to buy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Aug 8, 2003.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I am now fairly close to being able to get a truck (maybe early next year, house comes first), and I can't make up my mind what K5 I want. Do I want the 76-78, or a Military blazer? Both have advantages, in my mind, but neither seems to have an edge over the other. On the one hand, the 76-78 has the look I like, and has a very simple engine compartment. OTOH, the Mil blazer has a diesel, better mileage, looks pretty cool too (though I would probably swap the front clip for a roundeye one). Either way, it would get lifted, and get 3/4-ton running gear underneath. I would be swapping a 205 into either one as well. Either one should be within my budget (for a half-decent truck, not looking for a show-winner or anything). So, which way should I go? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Get a '76-'78 with a 4 speed and paint it Military Camo. You get the body style you want, NP205, and you might find one with a 400V8. You just have to be patient to find what you want.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Unless you are hard up for a diesel, I would hold out for a 76-78. You can get more of what you want without having to swap everything out. Just seems to make sense.

Kris

4. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Fergot to mention, it has to be an auto, in case DW ever needs to drive it somewhere. That's the other plus the Mil blazer has: it has a TH400. Granted, the TH350 is no slouch, and will hold up well with not much investment, not to mention the gas engine has way better pickup than a diesel. I dunno. And I'm staying away from the 400. My previous blazer (which I owned for all of 6 hours) had a 400. It threw a rod on the way home. I want the 350 so I can rebuild it into a 383 when the time comes.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if you want an auto and 205, why not an 80 model, still has the round headlights