Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to check before wheelin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 26, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

just as the title states.....i know like all the fluids and stuff, but just wonderin what else

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

everything you think you broke last time. Lock/unlock the hubs, t-case operation, recovery equip, visual check for damage underneath, etc.

Go ahead and accept the fact that if your going to go whelling things will break and you will have to deal with them as they happen. The amount of prep and chances you are willing to take is up to you. I trailer my junk and wheel with the same couple of buddies every time I'm back in the states. We kind of know what to expect form our junk so if it breaks we just drag it back to the trailer and see where we can go from there

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I check and not in this order
    tire pressure
    oil
    antifreeze
    brake fluid
    power steering fluid
    crawl under truck... grab both dshafts and see how they feel.. good universals...

I also carry all the fluids with me...duct tape, tow strap, bungie cords and tools....:wink1:

in the future I will be carrying extra
    waterpump
    starter
    alternator
    belts
    oil, oil filter, catch pan
    universals
    d-shafts

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Grease anything that has a zirk. Hit up the mall for a alittle crawling first..lol

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I also check the battery in my power mic on the radio , and make sure the antenna is tight . I also make sure I have put some cash in the ashtray in case a small town gas station can't take a card anywhere on the route ( works for gas if you need to send someone else into town for you ) .

Everything esle is pretty much covered by others already .

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Good one.... well I hit the zirks every 3rd run... before I go.. but I do look at them before I go.. If I dont see any grease on the part of the slip shaft then grease until it is there....:wink1:

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if you check everything that has fluid (oil, trans, tcase, brake etc) and grease everything that has a zerk... you oughta be off to a good start.

j

8. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

you will be good if your truck makes it down here. i carry an extra rear shaft & u-joints, duct tape and rope.

9. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you ready bro?

10. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

I like to put a wrench to anything that has a moving part. Just for peace of mind that it was tight when I left. That way if something loosens up or breaks then its fate not ignorance. LOL

11. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Also, good idea to make sure you have fresh water, dry food and extra clothing. I aslo carry shovel, along with what's already been mentioned.

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well here are a few fixes for when you break down:

You’ve broken your truck, it’s 13*, and you’re a long way from home.

1. You’ve ripped the back axle off your truck while rescuing a comrade.
    >Use jump leads, three batteries and an electrode to weld the axle back on takes a while.

2.You puncture your fuel tank while crossing a treacherous boulder field.
    >Depending on the hole, either use a piece of chewing gum, a spare body screw, or a piece of soap to plug the leak.

3. You’ve rolled a tire off its rim and though you’ve levered it back on, you just can’t seem to seat the bead on the rim.
    > Use an explosion of flammable starter gas sprayed inside the tire to push the bead back into place- STAND BACK!!

4. Hole in radiator hose!
    > when cooled off wipe dry, patch with tire patch (tube type) and wrap with duct tape

Here is a list of some of the things I carry:
    1. Tool kit ( basic small kit that comes in its own case. )
    2. Electrical repair kit (test light, wire, assortment of wire terminals and crimper's.)
    3. Jumper cables
    4. Air compressor and hose. ( I carry a small portable.)
    5. Bailing wire
    6. Latex gloves ( if you have to mess with a greasy U-joint and don’t have a good way to clean your hands along the trail. )
    7. 8’ X 10’ tarp ( This is better to lay on instead of the ground or mud when working under the vehicle.)
    8. Tire pressure gauge.
    9. Tire repair kit
    10. 3 or 4 quarts of engine oil ( You can use this in a pinch for rear end and manual transmission oil )
    11. 3 or 4 quarts of automatic transmission fluid ( for automatic transmissions only)
    12. A pint of brake fluid
    13. Engine oil filter and filter wrench ( I had a rock flip up and put a hole in one )
    14. I use storage boxes to put all this into
    15. Hold down straps to secure the cargo boxes ( have at least one of these a winch type strap that can be used for re-seating a tire bead. )
    16. Leather gloves ( For handling hot parts and winch cables )
    17. Coveralls ( It is nice to be clean after the repairs are made )
    18. Any special tools that are vehicle specific.
    19. Any parts that seem to break often on your specific vehicle
    20. Jack ( a high lift is very useful )
    21. Tow strap ( Loop ends only, hooks turn into missiles )
    22. Flashlight with extra batteries
    23. Full size spare tire
    24. Propane torch
    25. Acid core solder
    26. Roll of paper shop towels
    27. Can of WD-40
    28. Plastic garbage bag ( to cover large parts, doubles as rain slicker )
    29. Zip lock bags ( to put small parts in )
    30. piece of wood to put under jack.
    31. ROLL OF DUCT TAPE!!! (saved my butt plenty of times):crazy:
    I saw these and saved them as how to!
    What are some 'quick-fixes' if I break down?

Here's some emergency repair measures if you are stuck in the middle of no-where - they must only be used if it's an absolute emergency and, with these 'quick fixes' in place, you should only drive your vehicle as far as is needed to find help.

Broken fan belt
    • Always carry a spare fan belt or two.
    • If you have an older vehicle, you should fit new belts before you leave and carry the old ones as spares.
    • In an emergency, use a nylon stocking, cord or rope to give some traction over water pump and fan belt pulleys. Keep engine revs low until you can replace the temporary belt with a proper one.
    Broken brake lines
    • Fractures in hydraulic brake lines should be repaired by cutting or breaking the line at the fracture and sealing it by flattening the end of the brake line, folding it back and then flattening it again. Both ends should be treated in this manner.
    • If the break occurs in the line leading to the wheel and the line is sealed off, the system will only suffer the loss of one wheel brake and the remainder will still work, although they'll have a tendency to pull violently in one direction.
    • Be careful to keep your speed down. Hydraulic fluid lost from the system must be replaced. If you don't have any spare hydraulic fluid then castor oil, methylated spirits or water will suffice, but do not use engine oil as this will destroy rubber components very quickly. Do not repair hydraulic brake lines with plastic hose.
    Broken fuel lines
    Fractures or breaks in fuel lines can easily be repaired with plastic hose. Slip the end of the hose over the end of the broken fuel line and secure its position with wire.

Damaged fuel tank
    • The easiest and most effective way to repair a broken fuel tank is to use a two-pack epoxy resin and proprietary brands of two-pack putties.
    • Failing this, you could try using a wooden plug slightly larger than the hole in the tank and spreading silicone sealant or chewing gum around the bung.
    • If the tank can't be repaired, a plastic hose from a fuel container connected to the intake side of the fuel pump could be used.
    • If plastic hose is not available, the existing fuel line from the tank to the pump can be disconnected at the tank and redirected into a fuel container.
    Fuel pump failure
    If your vehicle's engine is not fuel-injected, you can effect a gravity-feed system by connecting a container of fuel to the carburettor by means of plastic tubing. If you're carrying a sufficient amount of spare fuel line, the roof rack is good place to locate the fuel container. Make sure that the fuel you are using is clean and strain it if necessary. Carrying fuel on your roof rack is dangerous, so only do this if it's an absolute emergency.

Leaking radiator
    • Add the contents of one bottle of Stop Leak to the radiator and block the hole with proprietary brands of two-pack putties. Note: Remove the cap on pressurized systems with this type of repair.

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Cool, lots of good advice in that post:)

14. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

trail repair

3. You’ve rolled a tire off its rim and though you’ve levered it back on, you just can’t seem to seat the bead on the rim.
    > Use an explosion of flammable starter gas sprayed inside the tire to push the bead back into place- STAND BACK!!

that sounds like fun