Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to coat my frame with ?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Jan 12, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

my truck is down to the frame. this coming week and next weekend ill be stripping it down to the metal.

what do I cover it up with! I know the first thing people are gonna say: por15... what are my other options though?

ideally Id like to rattle can it with rustoleum satin black. that is definately the look Im after (and its cheap and easy) BUT..... I dont think it will be very durable. I want something that will last. Am I wrong ? do you think some good coats of rustoleum will last for years to come? what if I primer the frame first?

I sand blasted a car axle once and primered then painted it with satin black. WOW it looked PERFECT.. But it will be another 25 years before I have the truck down to the frame and I dont want the thing rusting in 1, 2, or 3 years..

what do you guys think?

one other thing, how much por 15 would it take to coat a frame? What are the results like when its brushed on?

and since the stuff is so "tough" (from what ive heard) do I have to have all threads covered up and stuff like that?

thanks a million

mike

2. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

Por-15 is great stuff and they have a flat black if you don't like the gloss. Brushed on it looks smooth not streaky. Just my .02 but it is worth the money.

Middle age is when Broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist swap places.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Mike, long time no talk to...

I did parts of my bed and both floorboards with one coat of POR-15 with 2/3 of a pint. They suggest doing 2 coats, and I would have except that the rust wasn't too bad and I'm Linexing it, so put a coat of Top Coat primer (also from POR) on it.

I think you could get away with 2 coats on a frame in a couple of pints. Really the stuff that I would have liked a bit more of was the Metal Etch they give in the floorpan resto kit. They had a pint in there, I would have liked twice that.

So I suggest that you get 1 quart of POR 15 (which you can thin with their solvent stuff) and a half gallon of metal etch (what you don't use will store OK). They have a Chassis Black you can put over the POR-15 but I think you need to put their primer over it so the Chassis Black sticks... can't quite remember.

But if you POR-15 it, you'll never need to do anything to it again. Might as well do it right the first time.

Hope all is well with you.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

hate to butt in, but how much does the por 15 cost???
    thanks
    69k5 (nathan)

5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

You could get it powdercoated for a couple hundred.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

6. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

If you do not want to use POR 15, try Epoxy Mastic. (spelling??) I have used this on all of my frames. This is industrial, "minimal preparation required" paint. It mixes about as thick as a milk shake and you can thin it to spray.

I one word, TOUGH! This stuff will take one hell of a beating without chipping or falling off. It is kinda of expensive, I only buy it in one gallon cans. You have to buy one gallon of part X and one part of Y so you get two gallons of paint. Good enough to paint at least 2 chassis's. Total runs about $180 for the two gallons.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

this is the stuff that I'm using on my restore project; <a target="_blank" href=http://www.zerorust.com>zerorust</a>

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know how to make it clicky, but go to www.por-15.com
    andf you can get all the prices and order it there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I used DuPont Imron. Primer &amp; Top Coat. It's really a two part epoxy paint. It's supposed to be super durable.
    I'm not finished with my project yet and havn't yet driven it in the salt wash around here. But a year and 1/2 ago, before I switched jobs, I was working for Chrysler (I know, I know...but I'm a computer systems guy..so..that precludes me from any Chrysler engineering and styling ribs..)..I knew a couple of guys in one of the labs where they do salt spray tests. I took a bit a metal, one side coated with Imron and the other with a standard paint (Don't remember the brand..Centari I think...). They stuck it in the machine over the Christmas break. The imron held up perfect. Looked like new. No chip's peels cracks. Still glossy, after you wiped it down. The other paint was GONE and the metal completely rusted. They guys told with the amount of time it was in it was about 3.5 years of exposure.

BlazerMan

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.por15.com>www.por15.com</a>

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

very cool.

today I was at the pomona car show and swap meet http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com - the largest on the west coast. i attend it regularly ..

well one of the vendor spaces was a guy who owned a powder coating shop.... he had a display powder coated frame on his flat bed truck and I talked to him for a while..

he said I can bring in a greasy mess of a frame, and while I wait (a couple hours or so, its a 1.5-2hr drive) they will sand blast it to bare metal, coat, and bake it for about $250.. i dont think I can pass this offer up. I dont know what standard powder coating prices are like, but Ill call around.. I have a feeling I wont find anything significantly cheaper and MAN am I not looking forward to scraping/brushing the frame on the weekends...

what do you all think?

mike

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mike, that sounds great! Go for it!

Wish I'd gone to the show...

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

price sounds good, but i would not bet on waiting for it
    i think it takes a couple hours to bake, not to mention sand blasting and actual coating time
    i have had a harley frame powder coated and it also takes them some time to get the bake oven up to temp, unless this is a really big outfit where they keep there oven hot all the time.
    for the price i do not hink you will get a better product with no real work on your part except the delivery
    i think they charged me about 400 for the harley frame
    good luck
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's