Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do about body mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Dec 1, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i need new body mounts in the four front locations. the ones on the radiator support have hockey pucks in them right now, and that is only on the bottem. are the lmc ones worth getting? or should i just go to the dealer? also on the 2 under the driver and passenger front floor, the steel pads are gone, and i tried to turn out the bolt, no dice. it just spins. co i just cut out the floor and get them from the top? and once again LMC? or dealer?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i put ORDs in mine and they work great

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i bought the ones from the dealer years back /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif there not cheap, but at the time i didn't know about lmc. i needed the metal part of the mounts but i removed the brand new rubber for the day-star poly ones...

the bolts were evil /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and i'am still not done as you'll see on the 14th /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i got the rear ones from the dealer but the 2 under the cab i used hardware store grade 8's and yes i did rip up the floor to get to them /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it worked for now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. i'd say try lmc maybe there stuff is good, i'am sure its cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. milspecjimmy

thanks see you on the 14th
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I got the set from ORD but I needed new top and bottom washers, The top washers from LMC come with rubber mounts and I've got those left over so if ya want em PM me with a zip and I'll check shipping /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id personnally go with the poly mounts over stock rubber mounts.from what ive seen they last a lot longer than the rubber ones.when you buy them they usually come with new hardware also.the bolts were a pain in the arse to get out cause mine were welded to the body on top.and they had been in so long that they had rusted to the inside of the body also.

7. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

IMNSHO Stay away from Prothane. Others may be happy with them but my experience has been less than stellar. Go with ORD or energy suspension. I'm actually looking at a master kit now with everything and not sure if ORD has a master kit

8. milspecjimmy

what are you guys finding for prices?

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I got a set of poly body mounts, Energy Suspension, from Macromotive.com for right around $70. Free shipping up until christmas too!

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had good experiences with the Energy Suspensions mounts. I had to drill 4 holes in the floor for the 4 bolts mounting the cab to the frame (pick-up) because the bolts either snapped or the nuts spun when trying to unloosen them. The good thing about it, is you can then pack the "cavities" with oil and grease to keep them from rusting/rotting. I believe I ordered my mounts through Summit racing (if not it was Jegs).
    The only drawbacks of poly are you need to reuse some of the old "hardware" (i.e. the metal inserts). I ended up making my own (with the help of a friend for welding), with some flat stock, piping, a metal scroll saw, and some time. I also never-siezed everything to keep from having to do it again.
    Good Luck.

11. milspecjimmy

does a master kit include everything? like all new hardware? and what do they cost, also any comments on likes and dislikes of a body lift?

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I bought a energy suspension kit from www.summitracing.com, it was around $79.95 if I remember right. I am happy with it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The master kit I bought only included the mounts. No hardware and no sleeves. As for the cost, I can't remember as I did it a few years ago. Overall I was very pleased with the results and still am.

14. milspecjimmy

will i have to modify any thing? like linkage? and stuff along those lines?