Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do about front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82GMCP/U, Feb 17, 2003.

1. 82GMCP/U

82GMCP/U Registered Member

I have a 82 GMC P/U, its a 3/4 ton, and I have already put a 14bFF in the rear, but still have the 10b in the front, I can't for the life of me find anything stronger anywhere around here(Lake George, NY) I presently have 35's on it but I have a set of 44's I want to run /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but don't want to shred the front end what to do? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

SEARCH! Hint: Dana 60

3. 82GMCP/U

I have looked and looked for a D60, anyone who has one and knows what it is wants way to much for it.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i hate to tell ya but a D60 is about your only option.

5. 82GMCP/U

Any good tips on getting a D60? will it bolt right in in place of the 10bolt? Anyone got one for a reasonable price?

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yes it will bolt in...as for the price, if you want one you can spend a long long time looking for one for cheap, or you can bite the bullet and shell out the bucks to get one, What are these people that you talk to asking for, for a 60 front end?

7. 82GMCP/U

The cheapest I've found was $400, and it didn't have any brakes on it. Maybe that is a good deal, but I got my 14bFF for $100 with a locker already in it.

8. Silver84k5

lmao 400 bucks?!?!! [censored] man i bought mine for 900 bucks, with no hubs, warped rotors, busted off lug nut studs, no steering arm, 3.54 gears, painted baby blue, a weak ass chrome diff cover, held on by 2 bolts, and no tie rod.. Basically i didnt shop around, i just wanted to buy one and be done with it, im not very patient.... I dont know how much you know about axles, but stay away from a dana 60 that was used on a dually truck cuz you will have to put a good chunk of change into to it, to get the right setup needed for SRW, also dont buy a closed knuckle dana 60

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I paid $1250 for mine...but it was complete, had 4.56's and only 35,000 on it. I'm not patient either./forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but stay away from a dana 60 that was used on a dually truck cuz you will have to put a good chunk of change into

[/ QUOTE ]

:

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWRONG /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

the only difference are the hubs and i got mine machined for $250 but it can be done for a lot less. or you can sell those DRW hubs for $75-$125 and buy your self some new ones for $150 on ebay. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

i got my DRW D60 for $650 it was 99% complete it was only missing the calipers and it came stock with 4.56 gears so i'm into it for $900 so far :rolleyes

11. Silver84k5

well right on, i thought that it was more expensive then that.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think this man needs some Rockwells...6.72 gear ratio and just as much GC as a 14b. Cheaper too! Just don't price a locker or the disc brake conversion, or the less than 20" wheel size conversion...but it would work good with the 44's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

D60, like all of the other boys have said, is your only other option. You're in the area where they are usually easier to find though...

13. 82GMCP/U

I would like to put a set of Rockwells in my truck, but I don't realy know much about making things work that aren't a direct bolt on /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. What is a closed knuckle D60? So I should just look for one out of a plain 1 ton P/U? I have a 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift, do you think I would be able to fit the 44's on without any fender trimming?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

once again, SEARCH

15. Silver84k5

you can fit them but they will rub, 44's are pretty wide as well, i dont know how people get them to clear their draglink and/or steering boxes, i havent been around many trucks running 44's... a closed knuckle d60 will look like it has 2 spheres on the outside where the ujoint usually is visible, the d60 you want will come from a normal one ton pickup or a 4door quad cab pickup, you can also use a dodge dana 60 as long as the diff is on the passenger side, meaning you cant use any of the new dodge 60's unless you want to open a whole new bag of mods....

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

There was a guy on ebay who had one up in NJ for sale. It might have been a Dodge D60, I don't remember. He had it for $700 and I don't think anyone won it. You might try searching completed items and shooting him an email.