Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do about my truck? Rear Axle 91

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jan 8, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

91 350/700/241/10(3.42)/35s

The last 3 days or so I have had this Winding-Scratching sound and did not know what it could be, but on the way home last night I found out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I came to a stop light and hit the gas and there was a BANG, but drove way, then next light “BANG BANG”, but drove way again. Next light “BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG” as I drove way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif No Cell phone, and just got done working out so in Sweats and T-shirt in Up-idy area of KC metro. Parked the truck in a parking lot for an apartment complex and waked to the Liquor store across the street (lucky for me the guy /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif there was a Truck guy and let me use the phone). Called Backyardbuilt and he was on his way./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif When he got there we put the truck in Drive and he could see the drive shaft Spine and with no Grab. Thank God it was not the Trans or T-case. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif We where thinking that is was the just a gear that broke or something. So we towed my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to his house and when there we pulled the cover. There we could see the lube was Gray (just changed about 2 months ago /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and a pile of metal in the bottom of the case. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif We jacked the truck up and turned the wheels and we could see that about 10 teeth where F-ed Up. After looking at it again the Ring would move Forward and Backward as we turned the wheels, also from side to side. Well, to make it better one tires where 2-3 inches over in the direction of the Drives side. This what we think happened, one of the barring on the drives side of the rear axle went out causing there to be some play in that side. This causes the teeth not set and braking the ring teeth. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So what to do now?!? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I can get a built 4.10, 30 spine 10 bolt, with Yukon Axles & gears, and trutrac for 300 (200 + 100 for the ride).
    Or
    Buy a Stock 60FF with 4.10s for $50 and add a locker and get some 8 lugs,
    Or
    Buy a 14 bolt and build it up over the next month.

I am buying a ¾ ton, 10 bolt, front, with trutrac and x-over and was just going to buy the 10 bolt above to match, because I am just running 35s and will not go bigger then that for some time. I was just going to take the outers off my current 10 bolt that is on my 91 and call it good. The big up side to having the rear 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif is that I will have 2 sets rear shafts (4 total) and I do not have to buy any rims. The up side to the 60 is that it will be stronger and I could go bigger. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

One good thing is that Backyardbuilt just pulled his 12 bolt and put a 14 in his truck, so I can drive on his rear axle till I get everything lined up, but it 3.73 and my front is 3.42.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifbrett

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Well what do you want to do with your truck?
    I would go with the 14 B FF for strenght and the price for gears is cheaper than the D60 FF. Also parts might be easier to find for a 14 B. I hope that helps a lil.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Lockers for a 60 are more expensive as well. Try $500 for a D60FF compared to $300 for a 14b

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Since you'll probable stay with the 35s for a while, I'd pick up the 10b for $300.

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

it is a DD and it is trail rig. i do some trail riding and i do some rocks, i have not any body protection so i have been taking the trails lighter them most, but i do get on it some.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the 14 Bolt FF. If you ever want to build it up (Locker, gears, ...ect.) the 14 Bolt FF is the way to go !!!!!!!!

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Brett,
    If you are going to get a 3/4 ton 10 bolt front, you might as well do the 14 bolt.

John

8. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get the 14ff. Build it up now, and dont replace a 10blt in a couple months /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Get the 14 bolt. then you can be cool like me. I pick mine up next Saturday!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Here are the pics of what happened. Blew the drivers side carrier bearing which lead to the carrier moving and tearing up everything else
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

Thanks for the Pics! and the work!! i am going to have to take you to dinner!!

12. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I got what I wanted, just can't wait to drive it.

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It's all most a hard call
    I think it really comes down to what are you going to with the truck, You said that you don't really do anything too hard But step on it every now and then. No real hardcore rock crawling or muddin. So I would say a 12b would hold up with 35's.

Yes I'm going to a 14b in my 83 only cause of the cost to rebuild the old 12b the cost of the gears and a new locker was more than the 14b That I'm getting with everything I need.
    The biggest plus I see in running a 14b is the Full Floater part I don't really like the C-clip idea. If I was to keep the 12b I would of got a over the top axle truss from MOO and hoped I could talk the wife into a FF kit for the 12b.

Now I'm not hard on parts it cost to much to fix it. So over time and a lot parts I take it easy most of the time but there are those times when you need to show the Ricer who's the Boss /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell Stephen at ORD ran a 12b for a long time with out any problems, He did go to the 1 ton stuff but he's doing the hardcore trails now.

Brett I know just what your going though. I've bounced back and forth on this subject a lot I've given some thought about using a ford 9in of all things /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The plan right now is use a 14b with 4.56 and a Detroit and the d44 with the ARB in the front. I bought some 8 lug wheels for the back and I'll run those till I can get some 17in wheels and the parts to swap the front end over to 8 lug till then the 83 will look goofy.
    I did just read that 12b have a problem with the pinon bearing failing Thats what happned to mine. I don't like that at all. but maybe a good Synthetic gear oil like Amsoil would help that. I didn't do it to mine cuase the rearend was on the way out when I got the truck. Take your time and look at the pros and cons

Eric