Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do about tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Nov 11, 2005.

?

What would you do for tires?

1. Keep on the Baja Widetrac 31's

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Put on the 35" bfg MT's

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 35x12.5x15 bfg mud terrains and a set of 31x10.5x15 Baja Widetrac AT's, now my question is this. Those of you who use the mudders on your DD how do you find they are on ice? I have the 31's for the sole purpose of using them in winter because they have more sipes and what not, but I live out in the sticks and my service road doesnt get plowed often. We get alot of snow up here, and im worried the 31's might not cut it. Are the 35's bad? all my commuting is on the highway with lots of traffic so i dont want to spin out and kill the people in there tracker that drive next to me, but I dont want to get stuck on my own service road either.

What would you do?

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i run 35 inch mud terrains during the winter, although mine are also studded for ice..and they kick arse. i love them, have yet to come across and icy or snow covered road that has stopped me :D

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Is siping the 35s an option? Wouldn't hurt...

j

4. dogdaysunrise

The 35's are still on warrenty so I would rather not take the knife to them till next year.

5. jekbrown

i meant professionally siped, at a tire shop on a machine. ;)

j

6. dogdaysunrise

I suppose it is a possibility, but money is kinda tight right now. So far the 35's seem to be the way to go, but a guy at my work has a set of 35 mtr's and says he is losin it all the time.

7. jekbrown

I hear ya. 31s seem awful short for any kind of deep snow. The tread design is probably better, but clearance sure as heck won't be. If I had to guess, BFG MTs would be a better snow tire than MTRs are. From everything I have read, MTRs seem to work great on the slickrock of Moab but are not the best option anywhere else. Do the BFGs allow the addition of studs? I know my procomp MTs do... if so, it might be any option.

j

8. dogdaysunrise

yea i might look into getting them studded. The plus side of running the 31's is I have a bit more power and better millage, but the clearence is my main area of concern. I wish it was legal to run chains, I'd be all over that with the 31's.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just drop the pressure down in the winter. I live in nasty snow country it gets -30 below here where I live. Not as much snow as the high mountains. But a lot of ice. :eek1:
    I have to get up early and plow snow. I am usually out on the roads before the plows. All I will run are Mt tires. I have been running Wall mart Mt tires lately and really like them they are better in snow and ice than BFG. They also hook up real good off road and are tough as iron.. When the set i have wear out I will definatly buy another set. Dont have any problems running them at 24 PSI in the winter at hiway speeds in the snow and ice. I have driven thru days when the roads have been filled with carnage.One bad icy day. In the 20 mile drive to work there were at least 7 4x4s rolled, slid off the road, or crashed, Black ice was a killer it was like driving in a hockey game. O'l Spots(my k5) and me make it thru all the time. Snow or black ice:waytogo: It keeps driving interesting :wink1:
    I'm not running 35s. Mine are 33s. But not much of a diference.
    Best theig to do is wait for a cold and snowy icy day and play with the tire pressure and find out what works best for you and your truck.
    I dont run siped or studs.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FWIW, I run 31" ATs year-round. And we get plenty of snow. Somewhere I've got a pic of my rig in about 18" of fresh powder. I got around with no problems that day........

A far as the 35s go, what kind of gears are you running? 35s might really kill your performance.

My last point. MTs suck on ice. Ask me how I know...........:doah:

11. dogdaysunrise

I will prolly try out the 35's this winter, see how they work.

Canmore im running 3.42's right now :eek1: The power lose is noticable, but I dont do much that needs too much grunt. If I run it in 3rd gear the 700r is fine with it (always watching that temp gauge).

12. Can Can

Be very careful on the corners with MTs. They turn into friggin' skis on ice, trust me.

13. dogdaysunrise

That is my biggest concern. They seem very soft and I can only imagine what they must be like frozen. I invision my truck driving on hockey pucks...

14. Can Can

Yup. Great analogy, brother!!!! Big, focking frozen hockey pucks!!!!! :rotfl: But seriously, that's just about the truth. Especially without any siping.

I'll make sure to PM you around February 15th and ask how things are going.......:D

15. dogdaysunrise

my reply will probably be something like this. "Need a new fender, quarters are shot, and i need a new box."

Im starting to lean backtowards the faithful AT...

16. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

hmm thats odd me and a few of the guys i used to go wheeling with never had that problem, and we all ran MTs or swampers..and we would go wheeling in the snow around lake tahoe and donner pass. we just drop our air pressure keept our foot out of it. and like i said never had problems.. and that includes driving up hwy 80 at 3am when its well below freezing and covered in ice..

i guess each situation is different tho :confused: :p:

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jees........ You guys worry too much.Don't be an Osker Meyer........ Mts Are great in the snow.

18. Can Can

Well, I'm not trying to scare you, but I have a feeling that the majority of the guys who have voted so far have little or no idea of what kind of conditions you'll be experiencing during the winter months.......

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I live in fairly heavy snow from Nov to April. 3 to 5 feet on a bad year. My elevation is 5200 feet surounded by 10K mountains. It gets 30 below here. Its Fukn cold and the roads are frozen skating rinks 3 or 4 months out of the year. I snow wheel out of general bordem in the winter. I love my MT tires. They get me there when i need to get there. i have had many types of AT tires they are OK. But just cant compare with MT in the snow. AT may be a little better on Ice but if you air MT down a little they work just fine.

20. dogdaysunrise

See in the mountains yea it gets to -30, but in Winnipeg here, it goes to -40 and stays there for about 3 or 4 weeks... Thats what Im worried about. :dunno: