Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do about wheels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a 14 blt in my sub and ditching the factory 12blt. It had 15x8 wheels on it but of course for 6 lug axles. I was wondering is there anything to keep in mind when getting a set of 8 lug wheels? I want to stick with the 15x8 size because I'm keeping the factory fronts on the 10blt (60 will not be possable till spring) also it is just the size I like. So can I just buy any set of 15x8 wheels (for truck use) with 8 lugs? Thanks for the help. Any advice on a good place to get a set would be great also.

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

You can get em. I got 15x8 8 lug wheels from discount tire. Summit also carries them.

These are the wheels I got. [​IMG]

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Got mine from Summit for $26 each. IIRC I have 4.25" b/s, and fit over my 97s 14ff drums. I don't think they are too many choices for b/s goes, so might have to measure and see just what you would need.

4. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info but I am still confused. When I look up wheels like at Summit they list bolt pattern size, what is that. And how do you measure backspacing? I don't want anything fancy, just some cheap steel wheels that will fit a stock (drum brake) 14blt on a 81 sub.

5. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Also if I get a certain backspacing for the rear should I get the same in the front or will it be different?

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The bolt pattern you want is 8x6.5. B/S is how far the wheel will stick out. If you have a 2.5" b/s wheel, all but the 2.5" will stick out past the body. Whereas a 5" wheel will tuck in more, if that makes any sense. You can get different b/s for front and rear, but easier just to get the same all around.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the BS measurement is from the rear face of the wheel to the mounting flange. IIRC factory 15x8 6 lug wheels are 3.5" BS.

8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I just installed 15x8's with 4" of BS on my 80. The rears will fit, no problem, but if you plan on running 15" wheels on a 3/4 or 1 ton front end, you will have to pull the grinder out and do some shaving. The calipers and backing plates need to be clearanced to run a 15" wheel. Figure 15-30 minutes of grinding per side with a 4", probably 1/2 that with a 7", but be careful. This is on a 3/4, on a Dana 60 you'll probably have to do a little more.