Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do after wire wheeling my 14bff to get the junk off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Mar 18, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just woundering what products you guys are using after cleaning up parts such as my axle. I'm thinking of just buying a couple of the cheapest rattle cans I can find. Maybe I'll even get rust-o-leum....

Mike

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I will be doing the same thing next week I think por 15 is the way to go
    anyone else?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am going to just the cheapest can of black rattle can. I already bought it. $2.29 at Checker. If I was anywhere else beside the AZ desert, I would use something that is rust resistent, but I used the cheap black rattle can on my dads F350 rear end, and my Jimmy's rear end too, and they both are looking good. Both where painted over a year ago.

Thanks again for the help with the 14b. I appreciate it. I didn't get a chance to do much with it, but I did drop the cover and it looked to be in good shape so I am definitly very happy with my purchase. This summer it is going to get the whole treatment to paint, new brakes, new bearing races and seal, new 4.56 gears, and a welded spider gear unless I find the $ for a Detroit.

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

When I do this, im gonna use low gloss black engine enamel paint. I sell it at work in rattle cans for 3.99. Good enough for me.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Rust proof paint... Used it on my diff cover's works and looks great /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

rustoleum all the way

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Engine paint or POR-15

8. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks!
    Looks like the rattle cans have it. I might spend a couple extra bucks on the rustoleum but that's it.

So far I've take the axles out and brakes off. The brake drums are trashed so I'm going to do Misfits disk brake conversion. This is much cheaper than replacing those 13 inch drums. Anyone need 13 inch backing plates?? While wire wheeling it I turned into a complete grease ball from head to toe and I still have some more to do. Spent an hour ot two with my grinder on the lower lip and it's starting to look better. Once the outside is done I plan on installing a detroit. But then again some day I reaally need to finsh the engine install!! I'm trying to modifiy evenything at once and getting nothing completed!!

Good luck on yours and we'll have to do some wheeling this summer!!

Later,
    Mike

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take some Castrol Super Clean Degreaser and spray the axle down, wait a half hour and then hose it off, then let it dry and wire wheel, keeps the grease to a minimum.
    You can use Easy Off oven cleaner also, just cover up the spindles.

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Another vote for Por-15...I have some friends in Pennsylvania and that stuff works great at helping eliminate rust...Kinda $$$$ though...

Chris

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Nothing rusts in Arizona buddy. It ain't like CO. In AZ we don't get moisture, so no moisture no rust. Like I said earlier if it was anywhere bust the AZ desert then rust protection is the way to go. But 87GMCJimmy are both from AZ so no rusto. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I just did mine. After wire wheeling it, hit it with some brake cleaner. I used this paint called hammerite, so far it seems like some good stuff, but more expensive. Can paint over rust with it as well, and will protect against rust. Dries fast...It was about 40 degrees out while I was painting and had no problems...not that you have that problem in AZ. I personally found the paint very easy to work with though, and would recommend it. I've heard it is very durable as well.