Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do before getting a winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Saw an ad for a used warn winch in a paper and wanting one but have a question about what needs to be done before i get one. Like does battery size and alt. out make a difference. The battery i have is just a cheap battery and alt. is a stock replacement. Do I need to up grade first before the winch or will they hold up for awhile? What size battery should I have to use a 8000-9000 lb winch? What should the amp on a new alt. output be rated at? Never had a winch before what do i need to know?

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a warn 9000 and still have all the stock alts and battery. Not sure if you need to upgrade anything for the winch. Its not like your gonna winch yourself up the whole mountain or trail. I just leave my truck running when I have to winch. If you have a K5 I'd suggest atleast a 9000lb winch. I think the rule of thumb is 1 1/2 times the weight of your vehicle.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well first off if you think its a good deal go buy the damn winch. Used winches dont come up too often and Warn's are especially collectable. Now, as far as the charging system. I would recomend a high output alternator irregardless of winch size or anything else. The factory alt. can't support much more than the factory accesories. As far as a second battery goes, depends on how much and how hard you use the winch. If its on a DD type truck and wont see much use you'll be ok with a single battery but for the love of god get a new good one. I am in no way saying adding dual batteries is a bad thing but its kinda expensive to do it right (~$400).

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just my two cents worth................I like going alone most of the time when four wheeling. I wouldn't go without at least a spare battery strapped down to replace the main. Low battery from winching and a stalled engine or just stupid second and turn the ignition switch off and your walking. If ya buddy is riding with ya, borrow his till ya get back. Just my 2 pennies.:grin:

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dual batteries with Wrangler NW switching system:thumb:

I expected to upgrade my alt when this one went but it still is hanging in there (prolly due to the ability to tie in the other batt when I need it).

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yea, I bought a 140 amp alternator and never have got around to installing it as my battery isolator is only rated at 90 amps and I can't seem to remember to order the bigger one. Have never drawn down the aux battery winching to really need the 140. Though winching only one vehicle at a time infrequently over a day probably is the reason.

7. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

There is a good article in the Feb. 05' Four Wheeler Magazine about a new Optima yellow top battery called the "Group 31 Battery". Supposed to be a battery for "industrial applications" that makes a little less juice than a dual set up. Might check that out if you're worried about it.

--Adam

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a relatively cheap alternative might be to run two inexpensive batteries (wait for that sale at sears, lol) and run them un-isolated in parallel. If they are the exact same type of battery and both new, this should work fine and give ya some extra juice capacity for winching. This is probably what I am going to do with my rig and warn 8274.

j

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

the only thing ya need to do before you get a winch, is go get stuck really bad in the worst spot, in the midle of now where, and be the largest rig with a group of bone stock jeepers..

worked for a friend of mine:D

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's precisely what I do. I don't use my winch that much anyway. It's often broken but when it's working, my dual batts and 63 amp alternator do just fine.

Once you get a winch you'll realize when you need it, YOU NEED IT!! but most of the time you'll just use a strap like always, it's faster, safer, and easier.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Nothing to really add, except that I run a Warm M8000 with a stock alternator and a single battery. I am making provisions to mount a second battery to atleast have on hand if the primary should fail, and then later on hook up to the charging system and all that.

I should also note that I am running the Pro-Comp Off Road/Deep Cycle battery for my primary battery, so that might make some difference. I also have used my winch a fair amount without running the battery down or killing the alt etc. Make sure if using one battery to hook the winch to the top posts, and the starter cable/ground wire to the side posts. :waytogo:

12. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

looked around and i think I will get me a new battery and let my son have the one i got now for the bronco of his that keeps getting stuck in the yard. I think it will do like that for awhile. Thanks for opinions. I try to take it easy on the old truck since it became my dd when i let the s-10 go.