Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do before starting truck... its sat for 2 years!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by westn11, Mar 8, 2007.

1. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well around 2 years ago, my truck's transmission went south on me. I was originally planning on the truck only being off the road for a few months, so I didnt do any storage prep. After fighting with one trans builder for 9 months, starting a business, mods, etc, I'm finally getting ready to fire it back up.

Do any of you guys have any ideas or steps that I should take before I fire it up?

Drain the gas? Put some gas "conditioner" in it? Change the oil? Thoughts?

thanks
    -Nigel

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would pull the spark plugs drip a few drops of oil in each cylinder. It would be great to pull the distributor and spin the oil pump to pre-lube the engine, but I probably wouldn't...just due to laziness. I would add some chemical fuel conditioner to the tank to help disperse any condensation. Once you start it and get it up to operating temperature, then you can shut it off and change the oil. Also, make sure to check your air intake before you turn it over. You may find rodent nests in there.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

those pistons could be seized in there from rust or crud. i like mmo (marvel mystery oil). dump some in the tank to break crud up, if you put some in a spray bottle and spray plenty in the spark plug holes, it will disperse well throughout the chamber to break up as much rust or grime as possible. let that soak for a day or two, then try to turn the engine by using a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt. if it won't budge at all, i'd let it soak longer. i don't know how much gas you have left in the tank, but diluting it with fresh gas helps break up crud. needless to say, put new fuel filters on there because rust, varnish, etc. WILL be on its way to the carb. fuel lines and the fuel pump diaphragm may be rotted. fuel pumps are cheap. if it won't start up, priming the carb with carb cleaner is an option.

if you want to do it RIGHT, drain and clean the tank, replace all fuel lines/pump/filters, clean and rebuild carb. some would say tear into the engine and clean it out.

when my friend was building a 360 for his ram, we used some BFHs to pound those stuck pistons out. obviously, he did not plan to keep them, and he had the cylinders bored afterwards.

4. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Mines only been sitting for a few months so all im gonna do is toss in a couple gallons of premium to balance out the one gallon or so left in the tank.

5. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

I've started trucks that have sat a lot longer and all it takes is for you to pull the plugs, crank the motor over with the starter to build oil pressure, put plugs back in and pour some gas in the carb and it should start right up. That's just me though.

6. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Search "davesfarm" on youtube...he starts junkers every now and then! one that sat for 5 years i think

7. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

watch the episode of trucks when stacy starts sergant somethign and then goes driving it around with holes in the floor, no brakes, and chains on the tires.

I think he changed all the fluids, checked the wiring, rebuild the carb. and put a fresh bettery.

Mines been sitting scine october went out and started last weekend 3 pumps on the gas holded in the clutch and turned over rite away. ( with the help of booster cables)

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where are you from Nigel?
    If the truck has been sitting in cold, heat, cold, heat etc. you probably got some corrosion on the inside of the engine. I agree with pulling the plugs, spray some penetrating oil in the cylinders or MMO, and let it sit a couple days, then try to turn it over by breaker bar. If it turns over OK, prime the pump, (mark the dist. position, then pull the distributor and use the drill method) reinstall the distributor then turn it over by starter. (make sure you disable the ignition) leave the plugs out for a few revolutions so it can blow the residual oil out. Change your oil, along with the gas and oil filters, drain all the old gas, put in a couple gallons of fresh gas, check your cap, rotor, plugs, and wires for good condition. dump a little gas down the carb, then put the air filter back on, so you dont get a backfire blowout. Get it started, warm it up good, 30min. or so, then drain the oil again.

Then if all goes well, check the belts, hoses, etc.

Good luck

9. 85gmcOD

85gmcOD Registered Member

what is the drill method???

10. westn11

westn11 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm from Northern VA.

While bolting up my Coan converter last weekend, I had to turn the motor over with one of those flywheel tools. It turned over nice and easy, so its definitely not froze.

I'm thinking of draining the gas as best as possible.. putting some new gas in the tank with some type of conditioner/cleaner, new fuel filter, turn it over until I get oil pressure, then start it up. Sound good?

-Nigel

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would put oil in each cylinder, enough to cover the piston top, let it soak. While it is soaking, pull the dist and attach a shaft from your drill to the oil pump and let it spin for a couple of minutes. After that, turn it over by hand a few revolutions. Respin the oil pump.
    Do it again tomorrow. Don't put any more oil in the cylinders. Morning and afternoon.
    That way you are sure to have everything coated in oil before you try to start it. I would not even attempt to use the gas that is in it. Drop the tank and have it cleaned and flush out the lines yourself. Put a new filter on, of course.