Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do first

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abusedtrucks, May 12, 2002.

1. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

First of all, this is the best board I have ever seen. I have been logged in for hours, and I think I have only seen the tip of the iceberg for very detailed technical information. I'm very excited have found such a good group of people.

My situation is this. I have a 95 Chev Z71 truck that is lifted with 33's, rollbars, nerfbars, etc that I am selling. I want to use some of that money to start on my project truck that I bought a few days ago. It's an 83 K5 Blazer. Here's where it's at right now:

383 Stroker - needs some carb work and new gaskets
    35" Super Swampers
    6" lift (springs in front, blocks in back"
    both standard 10 bolt axles

I am pretty big into off-roading (mainly hillclimbing and some mud). I want this to be a good off-roader, but also manageable on the road. The first change I was going to go with was going to the GM Corporate 14 Bolt setup in the rear and a Dana 44 in front. That will also be a good excuse for me to redo the poor excuse for a lift that is in there right now, and it gives me a chance to clean things up a little bit. Right now, there is oil all over everyhing. I also wanted the chance to tighten things up a little in the front end as far as handling and steering goes.

I guess I am wondering, if I am buying parts and doing the work myself, what is the best way to spend maybe $2500 on one of these things? I know a million thigs to do to it, but what is the best way to do a low budget vehicle. I don't want to sink anymore than about $5000 into in (on top of the $4000 I just paid for it.

To see some pictures of it so you can get an idea of what I'm working with, check out www.abusedtrucks.com/4X4/83blazer.php

Thanks for your help

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wow a first timer who actually filled out their profile, cool.
    I would say the first thing to do would be to get rid od the rear block's. I would go with 6" springs or ORD shackel flip with 2" springs.

3. abusedtrucks

Yeah, that's one of the first things I wanted to do. Is there a good place to order just the springs, or am I supposed to order the entire kit?

4. You can get the springs, and shackle flip off www.offroaddesign.com Stephen is a great guy and will answer all of your questions. I would suggust going with the Tuff Country EZ-Rides, however I would talk to Stephen about your exact situation, and he will get you set up. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/TuffCountry.htm There is the page off all the Tuff Country springs/kits etc. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm There is the page with the shackle filp. Again talk the stephen and he can tell how to get the most out of your $2500. Hope this helps Later 80K20

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would add the steering box brace kit to it too. Private message misfit, derbinator, 45acp and order their rear disk brake brackets for the 14FF ...I understand that they may provide a total kit. The stuff I just said put your total to about $200-$350 figuring more if you got the total kit. Nice looking truck.

6. klier

klier Registered Member

Wow, another Minnesota member! Welcome! I see on your website that you head to Bauer's Pit in Cannon City too! Cool! I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful information around the board here ... I've been on here for a few years, and I haven't found an overall better board for information on these vehicles...

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikers! $2500? Plenty for 1-ton axles. D60+ff14b /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

toss in x-over steering, a ORD shack flip and new springs and you'll be rollin!

J

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard. Nice rig you have. Like Bry said good to see another MN member and hopefully can get everyone together this summer. Are you planning to head out to Dresser on Memorial weekend? Bry and I will be working out there and last I heard a few other members were headed that way.

How much ya looking for on the IFS truck? What kinda shape is it in?

9. klier

klier Registered Member

You know what Paul? I bet I saw you at Bauer's Pit the last time I took a peek to see what it was like!! You had that Blazer, and there was a Jeep with you... I asked if you were stuck --- LOL Was that you over there?

<----- This thing look familiar?

10. abusedtrucks

That's funny. Yeah, I recognize your truck. That was me that you saw out there.

That was the first time I ever had that thing out. I just bought it a couple days before that. I already popped the radiator and put a healthy dent in the door. The dent came from climbing hills in the back durning that hard rain. I got wedged between a couple trees but tried climbing anyway. I have some video of it on my site at http://www.abusedtrucks.com/4X4/83blazer.php.

Good to see you out there, and I'm quite sure I'll be seeing you again.

11. klier

klier Registered Member

Sounds good Paul. I just replaced the radiator in my rig yesterday myself. That was some real nice mud out there at Bauer's on the 8th.

Here's a few shots and videos of CaptCrunch and me out at Bauer's in April: <a target="_blank" href=http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject/bauers>http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject/bauers</a>

Again, welcome on board!

12. abusedtrucks

Thanks to everybody for all the feedback. I'm going to probably go with the D60 front, FF14 rear, x-steering, and probably some new meats.

13. abusedtrucks

I like the video clips, especially the one with the background music. That pit is so fun. I've been going out there for a while now. This is the 3rd truck that I've taken out there, and come hell or high water, this ones gonna last me the whole season.

14. abusedtrucks

Yeah, I'll be out at Dresser Memorial Day weekend. I have to see Dennis Anderson and Tom Meents out there anyway.

Looking to get $10000 out of the 95 Chev. It's in pretty good shape. It has a rebuilt 350, swapped out T-Case, 33's...

Email me if you want more info on it. I know we're not supposed to post "For Sale" deals on this board.

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

cool blazer and videos another thing you might want is a snorkal lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Good idea to go with D60 and FF14 right from the get-go. Make sure to get a power steering cooler when you add Xover. If you want to run 15's, get some from FourWheelParts with 2 1/2" backspacing. They will almost clear the D60 calipers with no grinding. Also invest in basic recovery gear.....snatch strap....GOOD clevis....attachment points....shovel....etc.