Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do for a motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Nov 17, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 with a 350 tbi and I was looking at several GM crate motors (the 350 HO, 383, ZZ4), what would it take to get either one of those engines to work with my existing throttle body or do you guys have any better ideas?, thanks.

2. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I know for sure that the 350ho has the vortex heads on it. This means that it will not bolt up to a a intake manifold that has twelve bolts, six on each side. The vortex heads only have eight bolt that hold it down. Look at your intake and see what you have. I think you have the pre-vortex intake, but I may be wrong. Both edelbrock and gmgoodwrench make a intake that you can bolt a TBI up to. The best way to find out this information for sure is to ask the techs on the gmgoodwrench web page. They will know exactly what you have on your, and exactly what they have to make the conversion. The only other things that I can think of tha might be different is the flywheel if it an automatic transmition. To email gm get on Http://www.gmgoodwrench.com and select contact us at the top center of the page.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If you got the jack... go with the Ram-jet 350. Its computer is self comtained (under the plenum from what I've heard) and scrap the aging TBI setup. Thats what I'm hopping to do next fall.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Don't forget an electric feul pump and highpressure lines for us real old farts. I wan't one too, but currently have to recover from the $2,000 I spent redoing my truck. The new floor, tailgate, bedliner, paint, and 3.73s diffs are gonna be awesome when I'm done. I'm getting excited here because I'm about done with my primer and ready to paint. I'm almost done!

"I ain't nobody, dork."
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>