Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do next

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BNC, Aug 24, 2003.

1. BNC

BNC Guest

Hi all, Thanks to this site, I am slowly starting to make great improvements to my stock 88 k5 with 80 K miles on it. Currently I am running 32" tires and have just added a 24 GVW tranny cooler to help the 700r4, (It says Thanks) a single 3" Flowmaster exhaust with a 50 series muffler, Catco cat and a 02 sensor. I flipped the lid of the air-cleaner (that alone gave better throttle response with doing nothing else)
    I can feel more power, Sounds way cool, and I am guessing the MPG will get better if I can ever stop from mashing the pedal so I can hear the new sound and feel the power:)
    Currently I have 3:42 gears in the factory limited slip 10bolt. Should I go with a cam/intake/ and a smoothed out throttle body as well as the TBI package from turbo city or change gears to 3:73. Mileage/reliability are concerns as well as best bang for the buck. These will be my last grouping of mods for quite some time. The Cost, Approx 2,000 for gears installed with a traction device in the rear or 1000 for the cam and intake with installation. I have not done much engine work and have to pay for the installation unfortunately.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions
    Brett

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you are planning to go to bigger tires at a later date, I would skip the regear, because you would end up having to do it again. I would go for the cam and intake setup personally. I'm sure you could do it yourself. If not, I bet you know someone who knows how and would be willing to help. Motorheads love to work on stuff, no matter what it is.

Kris

3. BNC

BNC Guest

Thanks. I doubt I will be going to any bigger tir in the near future. I'd like to keep it where it is height wise. Also, mileage is a concern .
    Brett

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Forget the re gear to 3.73. If you're not going to go for 4.10s, don't waste your money re-gearing as it's not a big difference to go to 3.73 from 3.42.

I personally would run 4.10s in that truck. 4.10 is the ideal gear for 33s, and 32s are close enough to that IMO that it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

$2000 for a gear and posi unit install??? That's nutty!! Just go buy a 14b rear with 4:10's and a lockers for a few hundred ($200-500) and you still have $1500 left over for your cam and whatever else /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You should be able to find a set of axles with lower gears for less than $2000. You could even buy a whole truck with the right gears, trade axles and then re-sell the donor truck with your 3.42's. Also, a 10b ring and pinion shouldn't be much more than $200. Install the same. That's about $800 + the cost of the posi, which also is much less than $2k