Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do now?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Dec 19, 2005.

?

What should i do?

1. get the 5.13's, detroit, and warn hubs for the d60

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. get the 40's and be a mall crawler for a little

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. im nekked, and thats all that really matters

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what should i do now? i just picked up my dana 60 on saturday. i really wanna get my 39.5" TSL's and i can get them locally for $250 a pop. however i also need the 60 to be regeared, locked, and new locking hubs. with gear install, both come out to cost about the same.

once the front is done, im still going to need to do new exhuast since the driveshaft hits the y-pipe, so no 4wd unless i go without exhuast, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, except for the mpg's. my front shaft could also use a good couple inches to it as well.

so what would you do, gear the front and just drive around with only long-tube headers, or get the tires and be a hardcore mall crawler til the front gets geared and the exhuast is fixed?

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Will the prices for everything stay consistent for a while? Since I never buy anything new I usually have to go with the cheapest deal that comes up at the time and then put off the things for later that will remain a consistent price. If costs won't really change, I'd say... do all the axle work first.

3. muddybuddy

prices should stay the same for a while, as long as my friend doesnt get fired from the shop (tires).

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

250 a tire really isnt that GREAT of a deal, not terrible, but not great either. i'd do what you need to do to get it drivable first. if you have to run without use of the front axle and/or driveshaft, at least it still moves. its always easier to work on a running-driving vehicle.

5. muddybuddy

ya i really wanna get it running. its been sitting on stands since mid september :mad: im hoping this weekend i can have it running again. thne looks like ill order the axle stuff.

ya i know $250 isnt that geat, but i wouldnt have to pay shipping. ive found them cheaper, but with shipping it end up being more.

6. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

I wouldn't run it with open long tube headers. I did that for about 10 minutes in the way to the exhaust shop after I put headers on mine. It is so obnoxiously loud. Sounded good at idle, but that was about it. Made my ears wanna bleed on a hill.

Erik

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You've really got no business running around on 39's until you have the 60 installed.....so spend your money on the 60 build-up.

I suppose you could roll around on a 8-lug D44 with your new "shoes"...but that's just teasing yourself. :)

8. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

Get the axel and the exhaust done then you can get your tires, even if you have to get them 1 at a time. You will be better off with it running right insted of just looking good.

later
    jmd

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

axles are pretty much always a 1st priority... and big tires are the LAST thing you add to a 4x4...

j

10. muddybuddy

ya im goin to put the 60 in this weekend, and buy teh gears and stuff then take it off and get it geared. plus my 35's still look new, it'll get new shoes hopefuly early spring. thanks for the replies :-)