Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do? shackle flip stuff...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Apr 14, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok i bought a set of ORD 4" flips from another member and they have sat on a shelf in my shed since, it's been a long time too maybe a year i dont remember. the point is i dont have time to install them. and the echobit bolt on shackle flip sounds like it would be easier to do. are there ne differences in the height they give u? i kno i'll need new u-bolts for it but will i need shims? ive heard they give you like 5.5" of lift. if thats true i can ditch the blocks all together.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1050381487muddysub">

wat to do about shackle flips
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />sell the ORD flips and buy the echobit flips
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />keep the ORD ones and install em when i get time
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />dont bother worrying since i'll only be drivin the sub for another 3 months til i get a daily driver car in phoenix
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

wiht stock springs, echobit flip, and ord 0 rates i get about 7" of lift. maybe more. I have my front 6" tuffcoutnrys and the rear sits maybe 1/2 - 1 inch above the front. I dont need shims, i have a cv and i get no vibes or grinding at all.
    I say go with echobit, helluva lot easier to install... had a shop do it since i didnt have a place to do it or tools and they forgot the shackel! what idiots. dont make thatmistake.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ive heard they give you like 5.5" of lift

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's right.
    I like the echobits a lot. Much easier to install and they are more portable - if you get a new truck these are easy to remove and put on another.

[ QUOTE ]
    i kno i'll need new u-bolts for it but will i need shims

[/ QUOTE ]
    Probably. Also, any shackle flip will move your front axle forwards in relation to the fenderwell. A good solution to this AND the shim problem is the A-tron offset shim. I relocated the axle back 1.5" (perfect) and corrected the angle and it was easy.
    -- Mie

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the ORD shack flip is only "hard" to install if you dont have a grinder or some other means of getting rivets out easily. Armed with a grinder its an easy installtion. get the rig up on blocks, remove springs, grind off rivet heads, remove factory bracketry, bolt on ord bracket, bolt springs back in, lower off blocks, drive. not to hard at all.

i have never seen the echobit flip first hand, but its supposed to be top notch too. since you already have it, I'd recommend just installing the ord flip... you'd prolly not get to much $ out of it if you sold it and the installation isnt that hard. If you dont have grinder or air chisel or something, borrow or rent one, you'll thank me later. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

5. muddysub

i kno the ORD flip is not hard to install, i've done bigger projects before. but it takes a lot more time than the echobit flip.

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I just finished the ORD flip it took me from start to finish about 3.5 hours by my self.

7. jekbrown

not trying to be a mj-like punk or anything here... but if you dont have 3.5 hours for your rig... do you even need to do a shackle flip at all?

j

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Jekbrown-san ... ORD's web page talks about dropping the tank, at least partially, to get at the inside of the frame (for the new bolts, I presume). Did you find this was necessary?

Grinder I can do, but dropping the tank sounds like a PITA.

9. jekbrown

good call dremu, i did have to lower the tank on my rig. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif its been a while since i did the install. At any rate, lowering the tank is no biggie. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]
    good call dremu, i did have to lower the tank on my rig. lol! its been a while since i did the install. At any rate, lowering the tank is no biggie.

[/ QUOTE ] yea but do u have a 40 gallon tank? and my tank never gets empty enough to do it.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Muddy, don't remind me -- one of the reasons I'm keeping the Burb *stock* is that 42gallon monstrosity under its ass /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both K5's have the 31 gallon, though, so yeah ... it'll be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-- A

12. jekbrown

my rig has a 31 gallon tank. Dont see the issue with having gas in it... run it until it gets somewhat low, then empty out the rest into a gas can. really... not that difficult.

j

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I did my ORD flip with a full tank of gas not that hard.

14. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

hurculise hurculise hurculise /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. you must be supa strong or sumthin

15. muddysub

well the ord flip is sold. so thanks for the encouragement but its too late. and besides i just found out that i'm probably gettin a 91 GMC C1500 to drive in school, 16mpg!! and the sub is stayin home with a car cover over it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but that truck would bankrupt me in colledge so this is for the best.