Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do? T-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jun 17, 2006.

?

what t-case would you choose?

1. 241sye, nobody needs 4:1

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. 203-205 doubler cuz its the shiat

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. im nekkid and dont know what to do

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well my truck is running again :D but its never finished...at least not yet. my driveshaft angles are terrible, which i knew was going to happen. fortunately they have put up with the abuse so far. its an 88 k5 and its currently 350/700r4/208 and right now its 1/2 of a DD. im planning on eventually swapping in a diesel later, maybe in the summer or when money allows. but i want to take care of my t-case. im thinking between a 241sye or a 203/205 doubler. i know the 241 will be about 1/2 the price but my mind keeps telling me to go for a triple stick doubler. i just graduated highschool this week so i got about $1k from family etc, and i also work 30-35hrs a week. while i plan to eventually take this to college my second year, i dont know how much longer it will be my main driver. the truck currently has 8" springs, but im swapping them out for 52's and 64's so i will be able to rock crawl at school. im leaning towards the doubler becuase it seems like its a lot stronger and has the 4:1 which would be sweet to have. i already have the 203 range box which i got for the cost of shipping so i would jus need the shifters, 205 and adaptor. is the 241sye a strong case? what would you do? is the doubler worth the additional cost/fab work?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

aluminum aint manly!

haha but really...if you're gonna spend some real money id just go doubler. beef+more selectability

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I voted 241, but I don't agree that no one needs 4:1.

I just have reservations about being able to get a doubler done for $1000. Obviously you need the adapter kit yet plus a 205. Don't forget the driveshafts and the triple stick setup you'd like.

Personally I'd throw a 241 in there and I think you'd have it long enough to get the back what you put into it. I bet you can get one for around $100.

Save the money for the diesel swap.

But hey, if you're sure you can get it done without nickel-&-diming yourself to death, then do the doubler.

4. muddybuddy

well either way im going to have to get new driveshafts since im goin sye, and ive only got the stocker up front now and its at the point of nearly binding without flex. i dont need to finish the t-case this summer, unless i destroy the 208 ive got currently.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

doubler + long springs in back for more wheelbase = better shaft angles. I'd go that route. Why are you doing a desiel conversion again? I think I'd save a lot of coin by not doing that part of the plan...

j

6. muddybuddy

because i want to keep it as close to a dd for now as possible. it currently gets about 8 or 9 mpg, and im hoping with the 6.2 i could get around 15 or 16. where im goin to school diesel is about 2.59 or so, while regular is about 2.79. its that or i start looking for a 95-98 2500 diesel as my dd/tow rig. right now i think the diesel swap is the cheapest. i love this truck and wanna drive it as much as possible. i could also sell my current 350tbi motor to help recover some of the cost of the diesel swap. what do you think?

also, my buddy has a welder and is really good with fab work. im planning on swapin to 52s up front and 64's in the rear so that will help with the angles, but im still going to need new cv shafts

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Honestly i think you need to stop...Dont take this the wrong way...It seems you build your rig soley on whats the coolest/ hottest swaps. (hence the 52's/ 64's, 1 tons, hydro assist before even driving it...now doubler...etc) You need to drive your rig. Wheel in a bunch of terrain...build to suit. how do ya know youll like rocks? hell then you wouldnt need the 4:1.

Personally i get caught up in all the cool stuff, triple sticks, doublers, all the stuff. If you can afford it thats cool and all but you can very well build a rig that youll never use. Why have a rock rig is you run mud/ trails...

Again im not trying to step on your toes i just think you need to step back and re-evaluate...

8. muddybuddy

i know what your sayin bro. the way the truck is right now, it needs new driveshafts reguardless. i figured since i want cv shafts front and rear to help with angles, id do it the best i can the first time. i guess the only thing im afraid of, is paying money, and then wishing i had jus sucked up and waited a little longer to afford the better thing. i duno??? i guess i jus want the ultimate truck...ck5 will do that to ya:haha:

i did try to drive it before i did the hydro assist, and it wouldnt turn at all and blew my steering pump...and with the axles, im not to crazy bout breakin something on the trail and not being able to drive home, since im not fortunate enough to have a tow rig. i just want to do it right the first time, and why waste money on 10b's? ive seen my friends blow up their 10b's, not somthing i wanted to experience

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Wow somebody is seeing this the same way I see it... I agree 100%.

Save all that money for school, you'll thank me later.. :wink1:

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

X3. Get it running, wheel it, see what you are capable of DRIVER wise, learn some more, learn even more, then get a good job to pay for the cool toys. It's ok to learn with something that isn't a freaking moon buggy.

Jeez, peer pressure for me was drugs, not dana 60's, fox shocks, 52's, and a doubler.

11. muddybuddy

alright then, ill look for an '89 241. thanks guys :) your saving me from myself :haha:

if i eventually wanna swap to a doubler, anybody know the overall length differences? hopefully i will be able to reuse the new driveshafts

12. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I might be able to get a 241, havta check with my buddy Brian. IIRC the doubler is couple inches longer, so I don't think you can use your shafts. Might be wrong tho....

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bah, throw caution to the wind. big block, th400, doubler, 1-tons, 4340 everything... :thumb: I've wheeled my rig in near-stock form before and didn't really like it. Much more fun when built up. After doing some rocks at TSF, I learned I wanted a doubler... so I got one. Dunno what all these other guys are talkin' about... it does sound like the cheap way to go, but I've never considered 4x4s a cheap hobby.

j

14. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i voted 203/205 doubler just cause its totaly manly and so much, i say go that route!
    LUKE

15. muddybuddy

i see both arguments

my mentality was that since im still currently living with my family and have a free roof over my head, i should get the big stuff done now, because when im out on my own, im going to have to pay for houseing and food etc. and wont be able to finish the project. does that make sense?

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I live at home and am kinda in the same boat as you... altough i try to limit myself. i want a doubler, i wont lie. but when i ask myself why do i want one...Cause its cool, give more options for gearing, its cool, all the best rigs have em... Then i think, do i really do alot of wheeling where i need that gearing? How often will I?

The answer for me is no i dont need one. It would be cool as hell but i just cant justify it. even my current project has already undergone many differant gameplans. Im finally set on one and i know exactly what i want to do. Focus is key. Ask rene, he started off need a new front driveshaft (or something like that) Now hes winding up putting in a 4500, doubler, yadi-yadi-yada. Things spiral out quickle

IS there anything wrong with that? Not nessecarily but is it the best way to go...i guess thats up to you to decide. Its your money, so you buying parts doesnt affect us (accept ridding the market of older chevy parts:rolleyes::D)

I definetly think you should save as much money as you can for school though, youll be supprised at how fast the bills start coming and how quick the money drys up...

17. muddybuddy

i know exactly what your sayin. i think what ill end up doing doin the 241sye, and when i get my driveshafts made, ill get them built so that i will be able to use them if i do eventually decide to do a doubler.

the main thing i want tho is a diesel. i really wish i could get my hands on an 90's obs 2500 with the 6.5/4L80e for a dd/tow rig, but its not realistic at this point in the game.

so i can either find a diesel truck and swap my parts over to it, or swap a diesel into my truck now. at the auto parts store, some guys keep feeding me the idea that i can get like 15-16mpg out of a 350mpfi on 39.5's but i just done believe it. plus when i add up the cost to fix up my 350, its well over the cost of the diesel swap.

what would you do 79k20350? i know for a while you were at least lookin for a diesel

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If i was gonna dd a rig id go diesel. for me it just wasnt realisitic. I drive 100+ miles a day and besides the cost of gas, theres tires etc. I just need a dedicated driver. This meant that getting a diesel wasnt as important to me. I would stll love to have a 6.2 or 6.5 but i just dont need it and getting one thats new enough so i could still pass emissons wouldnt be cheap. (being that my rig is a 93...) Im gonna go with another lt1 swap. (which is a mpfi 350) I got 13 mpg with 33" radials, a th400, and 4.10'sa and around 12 with my 36" bias plys... i think with a 465 i could squeeze out another 1-2mpg's. 15-16 with 39.5 and gas is just stupid, tell that kid to pull his head outta his a$$ and learn something before he trys to tell others anything.:rolleyes: (that thing just hits a nerve with me though, people who THINK they know and feel everybody needs to listen)

19. muddybuddy

yea im looking for a diesel now, and since im saving money from delaying the doubler, ill be able to do it in addition to the 241 ;)

it looks like its near impossible to find a good truck/k5 with a diesel to swap my parts over to, so i guess my main option is swappin it into my truck. unless i can find a good truck, but then id lose the capacity of the k5 (hense the other poll :haha: :p: )

so i guess basically i need a diesel burban with the back cut off :haha:

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Buy a cheap commuter car and this stuff wont even be an issue...