Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blowedupmotor87, May 3, 2007.

?

What to do?

Poll closed May 23, 2007.
  1. Keep the Jimmy and slowly build it

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. SAS and bling Silverado (sell everything else)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buy a 72, or 73-75

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. buy a sports car (sell everything!)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. give away everything and join some kool-aid drinking cult!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Trying to decide what to do vehicles wise, here's what I've got:
    Tow rig: 2007 Silverado D-max/Alli Ext cab 4x4
    Ex. trail rig: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Broken down project trail rig: 1987 GMC Jimmy
    I just bought the Silverado, I'm selling the Jeep, here's what I can't decide:
    Should I keep the Jimmy, fix the motor (it's spewing antifreeze out the tailpipe right now, any thoughts? Think it might be intake manifold gasket), and swap in a diesel later (really want to put in a ramjet 350 but, not smog legal (nor would any other gas with no smog pump and I HATE smog pumps!)? Or should I sell it, buy a 72 (maybe), 73, 74, or 75? That way, I could put in whatever engine I want (my state doesn't care on something that old). Or should I give up on fourwheeling on tight trails and just sell everything but the Silverado, put an SAS and 38's on it and have a blingbling truck?:D Or sell everything, never wheel again and buy a sports car?:p: Oh yeah, here's the Jimmy's specs: 350,sm465,208,10b,10b,3" tuff country lift, 33" swampers. Problems: cracked floorboards at the front seat mounts (didn't notice that sweetness until 2 weeks into owning it), burning tons of coolant, smells like a wet dog. Other problem, I got ripped off! Motor seemed fine for the first 2 weeks that I had it, put over 100 miles on it, so needless to say I thought it was good to go when I bought it. I fell in love with the truck the moment I saw it and had to have it and paid $4400 for it, a sucker's born every minute!:mad: Now I am stuck with a pretty looking light blue lawn ornament! So, up goes a poll!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would build the Jimmy with the money from the Jeep . A simple rebuilt motor and a cage kit with seat mount bars added would be a great starting point . Then you can do axles , gears , lockers , and everything as you go .

I wouldn't even touch the Duramax , its new and already pretty blinging . Although some new wheels and a leveling kit would be cool .

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

build the Jimmy. try some liquid glass. you'll have to drain your coolant and make sure all the anti-freeze is gone. there's more steps but it says ion the bottle. it worked on my car and it didn't leak for a long while. just an opinion. i'm more on building the jimmy cause it's cheaper but it'd be worth it in the long run. the truck like the other guy said is already blinged out. they look nice but would you want to take it to the trail or mud? just an observation.

4. blowedupmotor87

5. blowedupmotor87

Just ripped out the whole interior of the Jimmy today. I am going to need new floorboards up front under the seats. They haven't really rusted so much as they have been torn clean through (at the seat mounts, looks like somebody musta always jumped in) and rusted due to that, nice! :( Plus a bit of rust at the rear edge of the cargo area due to the metal strip that sits there to keep the carpet down and one spot of unidentifiable gunk stuck to the floor in the cargo area that apparently dissolved the paint a little and caused a little rust, one more rust spot at the front near the door striker pillar due to a top leak. Man, whoever built this truck (at GM) was sloppy! The goop they use at body seams is built way up and weird flexy at the tranny hump and is spattered in the cargo area. My buddy's 78's floorboards were made cleaner. I am going to have to replace my (driver's seat) seat belt too, looks like the previous owner's puppy chewed through it in a couple small spots. Man did I ever get ripped off! Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk, just gotta suck it up and get this thing running! At least it looks great on the outside (like a bad apple, shiny on the outside). :rolleyes: Hmm, maybe that's a good project name...