Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do, what to do???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bart, Sep 25, 2000.

1. bart

bart Registered Member

okay, now it's time to make a decision. I am ready to hack the old 10 bolt out of my 84 K5 and throw in the full float converted 12 bolt with 4.56's and an ARB in...I've got the ORD shackle flips, and also got the 2" springs for the back and the 6 inchers for the front. I am going to use 35 inch tires or so...I've been looking at a whole bunch of K5's and trucks and am having a hard time deciding if I want to use the springs and run 6 inches of susp. lift, or should I send 'em back and just go for 4 inches?!?
    I plan to drive this in the winter and on the road significantly...I know, who couldn't use an extra 6 inches, but any of you out there with 6" susp lift have any regrets? anyone with 4" susp lift running 35's w/o hacking the whole fender off? (other than not fitting in the garage?) I'm gonna wheel it pretty good, a lot of rocks and hills...I've asked this question before, and I promise this is the last time I'll ask it. thanks in advance!

Bart

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got a 4" lift and 35's. I wheel it pretty hard (rocks not mud) and I had to trim (not hack) the back of the front fender for tire clearance under compression. It seemed like I took a lot off at the time but no-one even noticed, and it looks pretty stock.
    I like 4" of lift, its just high enough, and if I want more tire I'll trim some more (oooh scary)[​IMG]. Just remember to trim a little at a time, its harder to put back on than it is to take more off [​IMG].

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I am running on a 6 inch lift and 35x1450 tires. I love it. There was no trimming necessary and I have never heard a tire rub. Go with a six inch, it makes you look meaner.

'87 Beast

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have 6" Superlift SUperride front springs and a 3" block and add-a-leaf in the rear. I have cut my fenders pretty good and plan on cutting them evn more, similar to what Shawn did. I have quite a few cuts in my tires from the fenders.

If I were you i would go 6" Softride or Superride, but you will still have to cut away!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I am running a 6" with 35x16 boggers. They rub under compression just a bit on the back of the front fenderwell. That can come off with no trouble. I say go with the 6". It leaves more room for work. The axles are a good idea too. I am thinking about a new(to me) 14 bolt and Dana 60 with 4.56s for mine. (Crossing my fingers)

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run the full floater and a detroit locker with 35 on mine I loved the ARB locker but it will not take the tork in a 6000 LBS blazer I went though 2 of them and yes the ARB did replace it each time I blew it up. The last time I was tould to get a 14 a dana 60 to take the tork! Bottom line the 12 bolt ARB and the 10 bolt ARB are weaker than the rest due to haveing 1 less spider gear. At this point ARB is said to be redoing the 12, 10 and the ford 8.5. If you find a ARB on a shelf some place pass on it as you will blow it up. Last I new the replaement 12 bolt was 6 months to year down the line.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken