Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by KENNY, Feb 10, 2004.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

OK HEAR IT GOES. HAVE A 1992 BLAZER FULL SIZE 350 4X4 STOCK. AS FAR AS I KNOW. 700R4 TRANNY WITH 241C TRANSFER WITH 8.5 3.73 REAR 10BOLT 6 LUG. MY QUESTION IS THIS. I HAVE BEEN HEARING A THUMP UPON TAKE OFF AND AFTER APPLYING THEN LETTING GO OF THE BRAKES WHEN STOPPING. AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS THE TRANSFER CASE. IT WAS BONE DRY. FILLED IT THEN DISCOVERED A LEAK AT THE EXTENSION HOUSING. BOUGHT THE SEAL AND INSERTED IT. THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM UNTIL IT SLOWLY CREPT BACK. SAW THAT THE FLUID WAS LEAKING AGAIN AT THE SAME SPOT. PICKED UP A TRANSFER CASE FROM JUNK YARD TURNED OUT TO BE NO GOOD. TOOK THE TRUCK TO A MECHANIC AND HE STATED THAT MY REAR IS NO GOOD. HAVE BEEN HIT WITH OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FOR THIS REAR. IS IT UNIQUE? WHAT UPGRADE CAN I MAKE AND WHAT REAR DO YOU SUGGEST

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

6 lug semi-floater 14 bolt out of light duty 3/4 ton 88-98. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

will it bolt right it and will it match the front

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

yup, should bolt right in. just need to find one with the same gear ratio as your front end. check your rpo codes or pop the cover off your 10 bolt and count em up. my guess is 3.42s

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Nah i got 3.73 gears 1/2 ton and Mine went out 2 times the first time the ring and pinion blew up. Put new gears in and 2 months later the Gov. lock blows up so i put an Auburn in there I wish i had just gone on to a 14 bolt semi floater as i had the rear end out already and spent about the price of one on this and the Damn auburn is ok but still dog legs when 1 side is in the air /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Get the 14 bolt semi floater, down here they go for around 500 from junk yards then get a real locker in it. What im going to do is save up for that and ifs lift and tires and winch.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my truck is doing somethin similar to that. when you get on the gas off the light, does the rear end feel like its suddenly letting go and the back of the truck settles and makes a honking noise? cause if its doing that, its probably in the rear suspension, and not worth fixing if you plan on lifting the truck later on.

i've also heard that the slip-yoke might need a little ATF on the splines, but i havent tried that. a friend of mine is a professional mechanic, and he said he's seen a lot of GM trucks with this problem.

if this isnt whats happening, oh well, another post for me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

just goes to show you it depends on your mechanic if u use one. got a guy who told me that it is the drive shaft. he welded a crack and stated that it will hold but that that was the thump. drove today and sure as &*&* no noise.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get the 14 bolt semi floater, down here they go for around 500 from junk yards then get a real locker in it. What im going to do is save up for that and ifs lift and tires and winch.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Damn, here i can go to the junk yards and pick up rear diffs for about $100-$150 all day long,,,,,,,,,,$500????
    and yes, semi and full floaters, i picked up my 14bff with a locker and 3.73's for $100, i had to pull it but hey, i'd rather do the work and save a $h1t load of money... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

We're not talking about any old axle here, we are referring to a SIX LUG 14 bolt SEMI FLOATER. You find one of those for $100 and I'll send you a check.

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We're not talking about any old axle here, we are referring to a SIX LUG 14 bolt SEMI FLOATER. You find one of those for $100 and I'll send you a check

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll give you 200 for it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sh!t, they want $750 for one in my neck of the woods /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

they started saying 800 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i was [darn] that and started to walk off and there like ok 500.... So i was like hmmm sounds better but im going to check around other places

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IS IT UNIQUE? WHAT UPGRADE CAN I MAKE AND WHAT REAR DO YOU SUGGEST

[/ QUOTE ]

It is unique. The uniqueness resides in the swaybar brackets /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

As already stated, get the larger 9.5" (14-bolt semi-floater) rear end from an 88-98 K1500 (w/RPO F44) or a K2500 (6-lug). Get it COMPLETE... the brakes are larger too.

You'll either have to fab swaybar brackets, lose the swaybar, or go with an aftermarket clamp-on type.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

check ur u-bolts sounds like axle wrap kinda or something.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Pull the shaft and grease the splines in the slip yoke and your noise is gone for about a year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

let me ask you something. tthe splines that you and others have talked about are they the splines that are visible when i take off the extended housing off of the transfer caseor the slip yoke itselfs splines. i mean the splines on the ylk itself