Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do with hookups for oil cooler when priming engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

When I am priming my engine on the stand, what should I do with the hookups for the oil cooler? Can I just plug them, or do I have to have a hose going from one to the other? Thanks!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would just temporaily put on a normal oil filter adapter while priming

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ya just plug them or wait until you get the motor in the truck and prime the whole system. Also don't forget to flush the cooler. You wouldn't want all of that crappy contaminated oil in your fresh engine would you??????????? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya just plug them or wait until you get the motor in the truck and prime the whole system. Also don't forget to flush the cooler. You wouldn't want all of that crappy contaminated oil in your fresh engine would you??????????? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant properly flush a cooler. Its best to completely replace it. If you run a GM crate engine you are required to replace the cooler and flush the oil cooler lines to obtain a warranty. If you dont have proof that you replaced the cooler or flushed the lines you can kiss your warranty good bye.