Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do with my totalled 79 K5,350,np405,sm465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jshadwick, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

My story: I left my truck parked on the street (I live in Downtown Sacramento) to drive my car to work. Some a**hole teenage kids in a STOLEN honda accord were running from the cops, lost control and slammed into my poor truck. I loved that thang. Anyhow, I had it towed to the body shop, but my insurance company has all but said that it is probably totalled (they are having an appraiser look at it Thursday or Friday). I have never had this experience. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they would do if it is totalled? The motor still starts right up, and I am thinking of trying to part it out, and put the money towards another one, or buying a salvage title and try and fix it myself, OR just letting them do, whatever they do when a vehicle is considered totalled .

Ya know the real pisser is, the punk-ass kids jumped out of the car and got away. I really would like some form of payback.
    /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for letting me vent! and any advice given!
    James Shadwick

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

They (the insurance company) totaled my dads truck after a run in with a semi. He bought it (not considered a salvaged title though) and used the insurance money to fix it. Ended up getting a couple things 'other' than just the body fixed and he came out even on the bill. He even got a rental car from the insurance company for two weeks while the truck was being fixed. In your case, if the frame is still good, I would buy it from the insurence company and start hacking! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    GMC Pickup
    rental car
    GMC Pickup towing Blazer #2 home a couple years later

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the buy-back from the insurance company is less than a grand then you could probably make some money parting it out pretty easily. </font color>

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Whats the damage ??? Is it all just body damage ???? Or did the frame get fawked up ????? If it's only body damage, I'd say drop another body on it. You should be able to find a body in decent shape somewhere.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Depends on a lot of things. If its just sheetmetal, I'd take the money and get the thing back, invest in some sawsall blades and tires, and make yourself a trail only rig.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

How much damage do you think a honda can make to a blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I am sure it's just body damage and the value of a blazer isn't that high in the insurance books so they have to total it.
    My girlfriend's car was hit on the rear door.
    They estimated the cost at $2550.
    I bought a door for 500 complete, and changed it and painted it for less than 500.
    We actually made some money on that.
    Just wait and see what they say, and then let us know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well if you love your truck.. and are attached to it like most of us here..
    Buy it back from the insurance company. My friend's son hit a Saturn with a 89 Dodge Ramcharger, the Saturn made and illegal right hand turn from the left lane.. the Ramcharger won. But the insurance company totaled the truck, They were going to give him $3,700 bucks back and total the Ram. But he bought it back for $400 bucks, pocketed $3,300 and is going to fix the Ram..
    It's hard to total out a full-size truck..

I say get it back and fix her up again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. jshadwick

yeah, from what i understand the honda was jacked up good. I just got the police report, and one of the kids (not the driver) said his friend was friends of the driver. Whether they ever catch the punk, I dont know, but i can sure hope.

OH, and of course what'd my sweet girlfriend get me for xmas? A nice gift certificate to 4-Wheel Parts.

I cleaned it out yesterday before the tow truck came, started up the motor and put on some Skynyrd, imaging i was up in the hills, toolin' around on a sunny summer day. Got me all misty eyed, ah hell, it got me damn near blubberin'. I may just try to salvage it. The thing is, I am definitely not a paint and body guy, and I worry that some of the other systems (brakes, axles, etc, may be messed up. I will let ya all know. Ya know, I dont write alot, but I am a long time lurker to this site, and I dont think theres a better forum around. Thank ya again for your help.
    James

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

turn it into a decicated trail rig!!! you don't need straight body panels for that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, definately let us know how much they want for it before you let them total it. There may be someone that will buy it for parts for a little more than the buy-back. Hell, for $500 it would be a smokin' deal even with the body damage. You can make a little money and a CK5 member can score a good parts rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That and it saves a good truck from the wrecker. </font color>

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey James, were in Sac are you at.
    I will be glad to help you figure out what to do and help you do it too.
    I might even have some body parts for ya too, and you can have them for dirt cheap.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI have a 76 parts truck and I just want to get the parts to be used.
    Doors, fenders, hood, etc...

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pictures are worth thousands of words. If you could post pics, I'm sure someone could help ya out.

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine totaled his jeep last year. They were gonna give him like 3K for it. He showed receipts for parts/mods (not including time) for something like 13K. The insrance gave him the 3K to fix it. The only thing was he had to get it fixed and show it to the insurance company before they would insure it again. Oh, and no salvage title.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. jshadwick

i will post a pic in a few minutes.
    quote from insurance guy "looks like its a total loss".

15. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

To the insurance company your Blazer is probably only worth about 6 or 700. It would definitely cost much more than that to fix it.

16. jshadwick

All right here is the only pic i took. i didnt know how to put here, so i just added to my website. try this:
    poor truck

17. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

too bad for ur truck man!!
    looking at the picture I would keep it and fix it up better then new . just try to shop around for cheaper($$)
    body shop or try to find a freind who know a freind who know a guy that do body in is driveway. good luck man!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Judging by the picture the frame would be bent very slightly if at all. Definaltely worth the buyback if it is not ridiculous.</font color>

19. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That does not look like serious damage. I would hope even a insurance company wouldn't say thats totaled. I would definatly fix that up...should be more that $1000 or 2 depending on how good you want it to look...

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know to you it looks like it's really hit bad, but look at the pic 73 blazer
    My brother hit a center divide going 70 in the middle, the frame horns were pulled in by the bumper and the frame was hit bad. Not to mention the obvious parts.
    It cost 150 for the frame, and we got a parts truck for 300 and got all the parts we needed, and we fixed it all for under 800.
    Your hit, I think, didn't get to the frame.
    I will try and hook up with you and go and check it.
    I can give you all the parts you need from my parts truck for really cheap if you want them.
    DOn't worry, just see what they give you.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif