Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do with my truck after a fire! Pics inside!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Sep 17, 2006.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Well heres some pictures of my truck after she got a little fire in her. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: It happened a few months ago but Im barely getting under there to fix it up. It really pisses me off that this happened to my relatively clean '86 4x4 crew cab that has only 80K originally. :mad: All it took was a little fuel leak then a backfire and up she went, fast too. Luckily it happened in my driveway and I was able to get it out before the whole damn truck went up. :eek1:

Nevertheless. I kind of am at a crossroad here as I see it. Theres two ways I can go about it. Fix it back stock to the way it was, or do a TBI swap on it. Ohhh, or a cummins, but unfortunately I dont have the money to do something like that.

To begin with I plan on replacing the main wiring harness that goes to the engine because there is areas of the loom that got pretty burned up. I think it would be easier just to replace the whole loom than try to splice and piece together the bad areas.

Also, the carb must be rebuilt (which was already done but I can recoup my money on that). The distributor has siginificant damage, other than the cap being burned the actual distributor itself is warped and screwed.

Whether I go TBI or stay carb I want to get a new intake with headers and exhaust, I think that will help with gas mileage and allow the truck to run more efficiently. Due to smog laws in cali if I did a TBI I would have to add cats and have a single exit exhaust. :thinking:

What would you guys do? Stay carb or TBI? Im leaning towards TBI because this is my tow rig and I drive it often. I do notice when I get in higher altitudes the power loss, and gas mileage starts to suffer too. Is there anything I would be missing? I know I need the wiring harness (need it anyways), new distributor (need it anyways), want a new intake and exhaust, and that pretty much all I can think of. Other than sensors.....O2, knock sensor and what not, which isnt a big deal. The trans shouldnt need anything special, what about the gauges? TBI more reliable than carb? Just trying weigh the pros and cons, and costs before I decide what Im going to do.

Many people say to pick up a whole truck but that wont work as I have no where to put it except at my dads house and he wouldnt like that much. But I know a guy that has a chevy truck junkyard and hes really cool about anything I need and might have to piece together.

Is there anything I need to worry about being here in cali and adding TBI? As far as smog and the hassle of having to see a smog ref? Im not familiar with the workings of smog law when doing something like this. Sorry for the thousand questions, I will do much more research on TBI swaps once I decide thats something Im going to do. But TBI is pretty simple so it should be much of a big deal. Thanks for the help and value your opinions.

oh yeah.....here are the pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, the hood is jacked too, its all sagged in the middle and bent out of shape.

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd say get it back to normal as is . and then tackle the TBI swap that way your not chaseing down 2 reasons for your electrical problems just my .02

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

thats true but I dont really want to spend the money on fixing it back to the way it was if I plan on doing TBI. Thats going to get expensive to have to buy new stuff for the carb and then a TBI.

5. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

You should give it to me! :D Or trade it for my blazer or my z28 camaro! I want a crew cab 4x4. LoL

~Brian

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

sure, no problem, just tell me where to send it...:haha:

I really love this truck, started its life as a dually but some unmodded H1's and tires, a little lift and new bed to get rid dually sides. After I fix the fire damage its going to get paint so the whole truck matches, a blue bed and brown cab really looks bad. :eek1: Then it will get a decent stereo, a few other little doo dads, a cb, and anything else I can think of. Once thats done the truck will be super clean. The interior is in near perfect shape, a/c works great, drives very good for a truck thats on 37" hummer radials. I got a pretty good deal on this truck too, I always wanted a 4x4 crew cab then when I saw it pop up in a local ad I jumped all over it.

7. yellowK20

well if your still dead set on the TBI swap then get WHOLE harness from the donor truck everthing from head lights to taillights its alot of work but you want have to be grafting harnesse' together

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you do go with TBI i have the TBI adapter you're going to need. I'll let it go for $50.00 shipped to you.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

When I was looking at where the wires go from my fuseblock I noticed a few things. Theres is one main harness that goes to the engine, a/c, heater box, and sensors. There is also a main wire loom that goes to the headlights and another loom that appears to run under the firewall and down that frame, presumably to the back of the truck. Would I need all that wiring? Or would I be able just to get the main loom for the engine wiring? After doing some research I found that the big block and small block TBI systems are similar, my '87 blazer has a TBI 383 that I built for it, so I can use my blazer as a reference for the way its wired. :dunno:

Believe it or not after the fire and all the water that was sprayed on top of the motor the engine still cranked. I pulled all the plugs, sprayed in a ass load of wd40, cranked then sprayed more wd in the cylinders help displace the water.

Hey yellow, have you done a TBI swap by any chance? Im seriously considering it, I love the driveability that comes with TBI. But there are a few things that I just thought of that may deter me from my TBI wants. Other than the hassles of wiring and getting everything to function properly, which "shouldnt" be a huge deal. I know a new cam would be in order to utilize the full potential of the TBI system. And I dont know if the a/c system thats on there will work with the TBI system only because there might be different wires and what not that go to the a/c compressor and acculmulator.

10. yellowK20

yes I swapped a TBI 454 4-spd into a truck that had 6.2 and th700-r4 I just swapped everything just to be safe fuel tanks and all probaly could have mixed and matched but at the time it was "easier" to do it the way I did the truck I enede up puttng a NV4500 in this truck and DD/towed with it for about 2 years until I hit an elk and munched the frame. awesome drivability and decent mileage too

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

that was opne other thing I was thinking about if for the fuel return line...the fuel pump thats on there is a 3 port pump and I think one lines is for a return feed back to the tank. I have dual tanks right now and Im not sure how it switches between the tanks now but I think I would like to do a frame mounted fuel pump. Any downside to that? What did you do with your pump, one pump in each tank?

Do you know if the intakes have a differnt intake manifold pattern? Like in the smallblocks with the centerbolt heads the intake pattern is slightly differnt. To my knowlege the big blocks were the same until the vortec motors but that I am unsure of.

12. yellowK20

This what I did I bought 2 trucks from this old man one was a rolled 87 K-30 and the other was an 86 k20 with a blown 6.2 I made one good truck from the 2 I did a write up on it way back when I first joined the site I'll see what i can find

13. yellowK20

14. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen 2 years ago, I fuel line popped off my carb. I was lucky, I was parked on the side of the road when it happened and before i could even do anything a guy had pulled off and had a fire engtisher in hand.

I replaced the entire engine wiring harness, I pulled it off a rig at a junk yard, and I had to fix a bunch of other wiring for my brake lights and such. I still haven't replaced my a/c wiring harness, and I need to cause it powers the heater fan. My fire doesn't look as bad as yours, it just bubbled the paint on my hood, didn't warp it.

I know how much it sucks to repair it, I let it sit for a month before I even touched it, I wasn't too keen on getting under the hood and start removing fried wiring. Good luck :crazy:

Picture 043.jpg

Picture 045.jpg