Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do with old gas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey gang I am about to start my FI454 in my 72 (saturday the 12th) and it has been sitting fer 1 year now so I am going to drain all the gas out of my tank so I can start my new engine with freash gas.
    Any ideas what I should do with the gas I take out?:confused:
    Thanks
    Burt:saweet:

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Use it to start fires! :) I keep the old stuff aroudn to help start fires in my burn barrell.. :D

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have a Bon Fire... :saweet:

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HAHAHA Ya I'm trying to find a way to burn it but I live in a yuppie neighborhood so I think everyones penny loafers and polo shirts would have a hissy fit hahahahhaa

Damn city slickers

Another problem is I don't even remember how much is in the tank...it's a 37gal NWMP tank too:crazy:

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Do you have oil heat? If so pump the tank directly into your heating oil tank. I've done this on many occasions...the furnace doesn't mind a little unleaded fuel:grin:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

oil burners love this stuff. its like 104 race gas to them . but only add about 4-5 gallons per 100 gal oil to much fuel might make problems. and if no oil burner take to local auto shop with waste oil burner and thay might take it to burn the same way. makes for hot blend and cleans out the inerds of system.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I just put a few gallons in beaters now and then, before you know it your out....

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yipe!!!

Hope your house insurance is paid up!--oh,wait,they wont cover you if they find gas in your furnace!---I dont think this is a good idea,even if it does work ok--gas +heating oil == explosive!! -- I know I wouldn't add gas to diesel engine,I've seen a few "runaways" that had gas in the diesel,they went about 6000 RPM's with the throttle closed until the rods came out the side of the block!:yikes: ,

I'd say just add some "Sta-Bil" stuff to the tank of old gas and drive it until its gone,a year isnt THAT long a time for a vehicle to sit,I've "woken up" many sleeping trucks that were not run for over 2 years that had over half a tank left in them,and they smelled rank,and stale--added the gas stabilizer and drove them home--granted,they ran kinda poorly until the old gas was gone,but I suspect water that formed in the tank from condensation was more the culprit than the gas being too stale...

My friend has driven his car for free the past year,using gas drained from junk cars at the boneyard,and you would not beleive how stale and dirty some of it is,and water in it too--he just lets it settle overnight and pumps it off the top ,all the crud and water stays at the bottom,the pump has a fine screen on it to keep any large debris out--he has only plugged 2 gas filters in a whole year of doing this!.he estimates he saved 600 bucks on gas at least so far..

If the gas is real bad,you could drain it out,and leave it in an open bucket or barrell and it will eventually evaporate--I can bring old gas and drain oil to our landfill,they take it for free to use as heat in their waste oil burner,or whatever,once its out of my hands,I dont care what they do with it!:crazy:

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I'll come over with a couple cans and you can give it to me. :D I'm not afraid of 1 year old gas, here on the ranch we have diesel equipment that only gets used one month out of the year and has the same fuel sit in it all year long. I have been using diesel out of our fuel tank here on the ranch that is 6 months old in my cummins dodge, doesn't bother me.

What octane is it Burt, that is in the tank? I'm guessing you want to start out with some fresh 91 octane when you fire it up instead of regular 87 that is probably in the tank, I don't blame you. If it was me I would....
    1) find out how much is in the tank. If your 37 gall. has say only 10 gallons in it I would go ahead and dump another 10 gallons of fresh premium along with a bottle of octane booster if the original gas was 87 octane and run it.

2) If the tank is almost full then I would probably remove half of it and get it to the level and mixture as above. ;)

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys

I don't have an oil burner, we have natural gas.

My engine builder does not suggest starting my brand new engine with old gas, better safe than sorry. Giving the amount of money I have sunk into this bad boy I am going to use new gas.
    rjf ~ i have two 5gallon jerry cans to fill and if you want the gas you can have it. It is 91oct , my 350 didn't like the lower octain fuels so I allways put 91/92 in:D
    PS I tried to pm you but you pm box is full and wouldn't let me send to you??
    I hope to drain it this weekend so I can be ready by the 12th with freash fuel:cool1:
    Anyway thanks again to all that replied..I hope it is not too full:confused:

11. JK5

In my town...You aloud a 3x3x3' campfire...
    I put the gas in gallon milk jugs...and threw them in 1 at a time...
    (I was about 20' away)
    But I JUST had 6 gallons...;)

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You put a gallon of gas on the fire at a time? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hahahah That sounds like fun. Get an ice checst full of beer and have a BOMB fire hahahah 1 gallon bombs at a time :saweet:

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I can't blame you at all for wanting completely fresh fuel. Probably is better anyway with that fancy MPFI system you have there (jealous as hell).... :D

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You got it!

FREE GAS to all that show up hahahahahahaa:crazy: :D

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

torch the yuppies!

Oh well,you could always pour it on the yuppies and throw a match at them!:weld: :weld: :D --we have them here too,and they dont like guys that fix old trucks in their yards--but they are first in line to ask you to plow their yard for free after a deep snow,and also the first to call the cops when you fire up your truck after 9pm after wrenching on it all day,and wont let you have any fun....I'd have no problem burning it right now,we have 2 feet of snow on the ground,that would melt some of it....:crazy:

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ask DIVORCED, his avatar says it all.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

duh..........:D

19. JK5

LOL....I thought you'd like that!!!:haha: :haha:

But I really didn't get THAT crazy...:D
    I just had a BIG pile of wood..I put the gas on the side..
    it took about 5 minutes..for the gas to ignite...I was 150' away by then..
    BSin' with friends...when we got 30' flames..:eek:

But I guess it's better than dumping...
    I guess the additives in the gas can really screw-up drinking water...
    Especially here...since we have wells.

I understand...it's very expensive to have a Hazardous waste co. take care of it.
    But I'm going to look into that next time.:cool1:

20. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Weaksauce my friend. It is not a real bonfire until someone calls the fire department. See picnic table for size reference.

bigfire.jpg

bigfire3.jpg

bigfire4.jpg