Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do with old tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Feb 4, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

People wonder why other people throw tires in ditches or burn them.

Maybe it's because tires are so difficult to get rid of?

I currently have about 40 wheels/tires that are junk. I have gotten rid of a load of 36 tires and another of 47 tires in less-than-ethical ways.

So, what do I do with these 40+ tires I now have?

Sure, I could easily burn them. But I shouldn't because it's not wise to burn tires.

I could dump them down a back road, but that's not wise either.

So why is it that tires are so damn difficult (expensive) to properly get rid of? It seems like if we should dispose of them in a responsible manner that it should be easier to do so.

Screw it, I'm gonna burn em or dump em somewhere.

Have a nice day. :D

2. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

I usually go to my local pepboys or townfairtire after hours and toss my old tires in their pile out back. Been doing this for years.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Back when I worked on the ranch we burned em all the time to get rid of stumps after we cut down a tree. Pickin up all the dang wire from the radial tires sucks though. We had to clean it up so it wouldnt get in the feet of the cattle.

I'm not to sure that burning them is the best thing but we did it.

As far as other options, old wheels make good racks to hang air hoses, garden hoses, ext. cords and stuff like that. We have also used old tires to make volley ball net polls. I just filled the tire w/ cement and set a pole in it.

Tires also make good retaining walls to prevent erosion. We also threw 2 or 3 in our pond to give fish a place to hide. Thats just a few ideas.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dont ditch them.

there was a thread with a link to a page where i guy would take all the ' bussness reply' mail he got. you know the little card that you can send back to get a subscription, or a creadit card offer.

well pack a box up 50lbs or under, slap a bussness reply on there, and drop it off at the post office totaly leget and you wont get anymore CC offers ect.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know if your locale ever offers this, but where I live, at least a couple of times a year they have a "hazmat" dropoff station set up. They will take tires, but I doubt they'd take 40 in one load.

There is a local wrecking yard that essentially makes most of their money off of crushing cars (scrap) and they will take any metal in my experience. Never tried with tires, I suspect they won't want the rubber, but since it's by weight...never hurts to ask if you've got a local place that scraps metal.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's a tire "recycling" place about 30miles from me, I took three tires there last spring and they charged me $6/tire to take them. I didn't want to bring them back so I just paid.

7. Blazer X

Blazer X Registered Member

I work for BF Goodrich. And we sell are cured scrap tires to concrete mills for them to burn for heat. Not sure if this helps.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Been there done that, with a 36 tire load. I'd hate to get caught though... and the tire shop deserved it anyway.

We used to have a "tire day" in a city about 35 miles from me. Bring as many as you like, but no businesses can bring tires. I haven't heard anything about it recently. The scrap yards are the reason I have so many. I have to keep them off of junk vehicles because they won't accept tires. :o

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Arround here we make them into tire swings, and redneck flower pots :D

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That is what I would do. I work at a tire shop, we are supposed to charge for disposal but sometimes it slps by. Junk tires are usually not a source for problems. I will say that this past sunday some a-hole left nearly 40 tires still mounted on wheels in our parking lot for us to dismount and dispose of. After about an hour of dirty work (dry muddy tires) I was ready to hunt this person down.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my local tire shop usually charges for disposal if you don't do anything else, the reason they charge is they have to cut the sidewalls off so it doesn't hold any water or anything, then they threw them in a dumpster. not sure where it goes from there.

they also buy used tires, but normally i just give them all my tires. i sort them before i take them so they don't have to, and they throw the junk tires out for nothing. i know the everyone there quite well and always get anything there VERY cheap.

12. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Just build yourself a tire house so you can practice close quarters combat.:laugh: Or call the local tire shop and find out what they do with theirs.
    I've also seen a junkyard or two that take them in.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just say that a demon or an angel , or the virgin mary appeared in yard with said tires .

Then sell them on e-bay for a 100 bucks a pop , PLUS shipping :D

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Most of them have wheels, and that's why I don't want to dump them at the tire shop.

The guys at the shop where I dropped the 36 tires with wheels still in them are the guys who had torn a bead on one of my Swampers because they didn't lube it first before attempting to dismount it. So, I guess we're even now.

15. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

That's what I plan on doing eventually.

I made a small "tire pit" for the last 2 years of the 4x4 events we had but no one really drove over them. I know that around here if you burn them it's a big fine. So we try not to do that. I'll make something out of them all eventually.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Get rid of them soon..

Prices will be skyrocketing as far as disposing of tires at the town landfills here this year..we used to pay 2 bucks for a tire with no rim,its going to go up to at least 5 bucks a tire soon,ones with rims are even costlier to get rid of..

I'd take the rims out and scrap them..they are #1 steel,and bring the higher price,usually 80 bucks a ton here..the tires I'd put on craigslist if they are useable at all in the "free stuff" category..people with seldom used trailers balk at buying tires only to watch them dry rot,and will scoff up used tires in useable shape,so will low budget motorists..or hunt down a concrete plant that burns them..no sense in paying to dump them if you can leave them there free,or perhaps even MAKE a few bucks from them..

I cant see how concrete plants can BURN tires,but WE cant or its "hazardous" waste...I also see a huge double standard in our laws,they claim tires are hazardous waste..yet a playground 5 miles away has several tires,including loader and tractor tires partially buried in the earth so kids can play on them!..:crazy:

17. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sell them to a redneck...lol..no offense...i just happen to have a step father who works for a trash company so if i need to get rid of anything,and i mean anything he`ll take it

18. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

bury them lol

or u could try and cut them up with a saws all and bag them or box it up for the local garbage man

Jason

"keep on truckin"

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Look in the phone book for an asphalt company. I read a couple of years ago where they were recycling old tires and using them in the asphalt for roads and parking lots, etc. I don't know if all of them went to this, but it might be worth checking out. :dunno:

Rick

20. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Glad to see im not the only one :D

& thats why I only do 8 to 10 at a time,
    that way if you do get caught, tell them your recycling (disposing of them properly)