Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to do with tires when not in use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ill be going off to college next week and will be leaving the truck a home (cant have a car). therefore the truck will be sitting for a length of time. im planning on coming back every couple of weekends and workin on the truck (tranny/t-case removal, and prep for engine swap next summer). anyways i have new tires with 1k miles on them and i dont want them to get dry rotted by just sitting on the truck under the trees. ive got a set of 31's on another set of rims which i was thinkin of putting on (also lowers the truck, for ease of motor swap and tranny/t-case removal). is this a good idea, or should i leave the tires on the truck? it prolly wont be driven for 6 or 7 months. any info would be great. thanks

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO, no harm should befall them.................I wouldn't park under trees.........sap and leaves! :doah:

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It won't hurt to take them off and put the 31's on. They will be better off in a more temperature controlled area with less sunlight like a garage. This way the elements attack them less.

Harley

4. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

when my uncle went to prison we took his new 35"s off and put his stock tires on and we covered the suburban with a car cover, that way the el paso sun didnt eat his truck alive!!LOL wont the tires go bad like become flat and not round??

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

There's a country song in there somewhere....

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

listen here you yankee punk rocker punk:D . wtf are you trying to say:haha: . i kinda saw something there tooo and i listen to country.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well ill be home every couple weekends wrenching on it, or i would get a car cover.