Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLD DAWG, May 27, 2004.

1. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

My wife has finally given me the go ahead to start the build up of the old 72 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif(after 10yrs). Once the body is solid the drive train is next on the list. My question is, should I rebuild/stroke the SB or should I rebuild the 454 I have sitting in the garage. I've been given a total budget of around 6K but this also includes tires, rims, axles, etc. It is going to be used for anything and everything since I have my choice of mountains, desert, and snow available nearby. Thanks, Doug(OLD DAWG) /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    What kind of HP and Torque would you like to drive with?
    If you are loking for numbers in the high 350/400 area then a mild build on a 454 is my choice. You can get thoes number out of a 350 also but it's not gonna be stock or a mild build up.
    If you are happy with 250/300 range then just get a crate 350, like the step up from stock, and spend more money on your axels/the rest of your drivetrain...

Do you like to hammer the skinny pedal or put put around enjoying the sites?
    Good luck with your project /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

As you are considering whether to go with a big block, review some of Burt4x4 and my recent posts about big block fitment. It takes a little work getting one in a 67-72 4wd. I'm gonna be pleased to have my 454 in my K20 but I won't do it again in the K5.

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Well, I used to enjoy street racing with a 67 GTO I transplanted a severly built 396 into, so I guess if I have the power I like to use it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    A development has surfaced today, I found a 82 k30 4speed 454, 2nd owner that has a good working PTO winch, rebuilt engine 45K mi. He's asking $2K for it. Sounds like I might be on to something /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Wish me luck. Doug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    PS, If this does happen I know of of some 1/2ton running gear that will be available

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That is a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I love the looks of a 67GTO, that ans it is the year I was born /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I have never owned or drivin a BBC before. The 454 I am putting in right now should be lots of fun. I saved up a bit more cash and am putting MPFI on top That and converted to Hydro clutch so it should drive completly different....yet the same /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I can tell you one thing Burt, nothing else sounds like a well built BB. Back in the day you could tell what someone was running from a long way off just by the sound. God I miss those days /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Doug

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well then all I got to say is..
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!