Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Oct 11, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Time to play armchair quarterback with my life here people...

mmmmkay, I'm crowding 40, got two daughters and a good wife.

The last 4 years I've been building aircraft tooling as a fabircator/welder...never limited myself to my own trade though and often spent many hours in the machine shop or mechanical assembly shop helping out.

in August my boss there pushed the very last button and I told him to go procreate with his hat...packed up my tools and moved on to what I thought was a better opportunity.

New job...also building aircraft tooling. New company...is very new. They've only been around since July or so and i was their first 'hire'. Both my new bosses used to work at my last job too, one was a partner at the old place.

So, I was told I'd be running the fab shop among many other things...and was truly getting in on the ground floor. I do feel this company has a real future.

In the last few weeks I have had to completely take over many duties that I have little or no experience with. I am left to deal with all of our subcontractors (vendors) as well as our suppliers and customers. With two employees the majority of our work is being subbed out...and I'm supposed to keep track of where it all is, when it should be back and where it needs to go next. We're talking 500+ separate parts, and maybe a dozen vendors or more.

One boss is pretty decent, but at the same time no matter what i do or how I do it I'm left feeling it wasn't good enough, or fast enough or whatever. The second boss in indecisive, and a poor communicator...often leaving me to try and read his mind.

I have been used as everything from delivery driver, to shipper/reciever, purchasing agent, errand boy, and on occasion fitter/welder/fabricator. Boss #1 and boss #2 are not often on the same page and often have me working at cross purposes.

I want to work myself out of my trade and into something easier on tthe body...I don't mind responsibility either. As it is right now I am so stressed I'm losing sleep over this.

I could go on much longer than I already have...but I'd be boring you with example after example. Bottom line is I feel 'taken' at the end of the day. I took a 'short term' pay cut to start this job figuring to gain it back in spades over the long run (their words...)

So, is life to short to be this miserable...or do good things come to those that wait? I can use some saving to eliminate a $400 a month debt...which would free me up to take a job that makes me happy. Or tough it out and clean up later...hopefully able to delegate a lot of the stress away as the comapny grows. Or see how it goes over the next month or two and re-examine this after the new year?

This is affecting my personal life, my sleep patterns and my general mood at home. I am currently at home on a Sunday night getting pissed...which is not a regular thing for me at all.

Wow...what a novel. If you've read this much please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

rene

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had a problem with my last job - I worked 70 to 80 hours a week and was very unhappy. I figured that if I was to be unhappy continuously, then why even be at all? I found a new job that is only 40 to 45 hours a week and much less money, but I am happier now than ever. Maybe re-examine after the new year?

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you decide that you have the option of moving on, why not try to be blunt with them before you go and try and whip the place into shape? Tell them to line up thier ducks and start firing on all 17 cylinders and whatnot. Maybe you'll come out on top!

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my last job, i also had bosses like yours, one was a good comunicator, the other was not. but they did not have me doing oposite things. i got sick of it, i worked about 50-60 hours a week and had an hour drive each way. i did everything, i refered to myself as the shop whore. i was maintenence, general labor, crew leader, problem solver, broom pusher, erand boy, shipping and recieving. i had no life. i couldn't make any plans cause i had no idea what the next day would entail, i had a time i had to be there but no time that was done. i was done when they said i was.

im glad i don't have that job anymore. yea, i miss the money, but i actually have friends now, and get to wheel my truck every so often.

do what you think is right. if i were you, keep the job you have till you have another one in your firmly in your graps and see how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hmm.. Thats a tough decision... I am at a similar point in life and not sure what to do myself. You have to do what makes you happy though and this job doesn't sound like it makes you happy. And if it's making your off time miserable, then something needs to change very soon!

What does D think you should do?

Have you tried sitting down with your bosses and explained your situation?

My advice FWIW:

Dont make any rash decisions. Sit down with the boses and try to resolve this... Keep lookng for new employment in case this one doesn't turn for the better. Smile, you have a wonderful family who loves you and thats all that matters! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Rene,

Sounds like you have many blessings in your life with a wonderful family and health.

In your situation there appears to be two problems....needing a less stressful (physically) job and a conflict of personalities with your employers. Since this is a small, growing company run by two people it may be next to impossible to gain a position that relieves both problems.

Are there other opportunites in the area to work? Have you considered becoming self employed in some way?

Definately the first step is to have a meeting with both employers at the same time and go from there. You'll know what to do next /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Jeff

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Are they serious about hiring more people. Sounds like you need more hands.

I really love my work, but right now is a tough time. We had a key employee just stop working here and take another job with no notice. So right now I really do not look forward to going to work, because we are behind and constantly trying to smooth ruffled feathers. We are in the process of hiring more people.

Anyways, what I'm saying is maybe this is just a bump in the road. If they will support you and hire more help, I'd say you should just ride it out. If they are jerking you around, then maybe it's time to look else where.

Or at least sit down and have a heart to heart with both of them at the same time. Let them know how you are feeling, and what you need to see changed.

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I am in the exact situation. Left old company to work for new company with owners of new company being my former bosses at old company. Same sort of ground floor opportunity and everything, right down to the taking care of everything that goes wrong, etc...

A few weeks ago, I just flat out told them that they were overloading me. Told them that I could do all of the things I was doing, but that all of the tasks would be completed at sub-par levels. You should do the same thing AFTER THE NEW YEAR STARTS. Give them a couple more months to get it right on their own, and then gently bring them to reality if they can't get it right. Work should not ruin things away from work. I'm happy now, because they listened. Things aren't perfect yet, but moving in the right direction. Either way, good luck.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are positives...work is less than 3 miles from home. They also allowed me to set my own hours.

I am not going to make a rash decision...but I'm unsure what I'll decide. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

If I do decide to leave this job I'll probably forward my resume to a few other aerospace companies. I like the industry a lot, and it can pay well.

Thanks so far! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Rene

10. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Rene,

A lot of "start-up" companies struggle at first to become organized and productive. Your decision is going to depend if you are able deal with all this while they get their feet on the ground. The company may have really good people and good intensions; however this is not necessarily a recipe for success.

Over time; if the company makes it through these struggles, it more than likely would be a great place to work. However in the meantime, it may start to affect your family. This is the point where I would draw the line. It sounds like you have a great family and I would not want to sacrifice that for nothing.

Myself; I believe life is too short to wait this out. If it has come to the point that it is affecting you as deeply as it appears it is, I would seriously think about seeking employment elsewhere.

Anyway, take care and good luck with your future endeavors!

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm going thru the same thing myself...
    I started working here...my stepfathers stamping plant...
    in 91'...starting in maintenance.

At first I was just expected to do mechanical/welding.
    In 97'...half of our maintenance team retired.
    I was promoted to Maintenance supervisor...
    shortly after that.
    Since we were busy...I had to do repairs..and train staff.
    After about 2 years...we had one of the best maintenance crews..in the city of Cleveland.
    But over the years...the company has been getting killed by foreign competition...
    and steel prices..
    My dept. has been cut in half...since 2000'due to a lack of work.

Other dept. in my company...haven't CUT staff at all!!!
    And other managers...spend all day...delegating..to others.

It gets a little discouraging...to see people sitting on their ass...while I'm busting mine!!!

I have to do my own purchasing...
    because my sister...in purchasing...
    is at home most of the time...playing with her horses...
    and is NOT at all conserned about the family bussiness.
    she just forwards her calls to me...so I'll handle them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

My step-father doesn't really run the bussiness...
    he lets the bussiness run itself..
    so...I'm left with making decisions...
    I'm NOT comfortable making...also.

I don't know how long the bussiness will go on like this..
    Only time will tell...
    It's not easy...to stay positive...but I'm hangin'in there!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

As far as your situation goes...
    I'd see how things pan-out...since the company is new.

Years ago...
    I worked for a small automotive shop...that was a new bussiness.
    I wore many hats...I ran the bodyshop..ordered parts..
    did the work..talked to the customers.
    After being there for 5 years..it was pretty rewarding..
    watching the bussiness grow.
    I was making some BIG paychecks after 2 years...

So...you may wanna stick around...to see what happens next!!
    That's why I'm still working here!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hang in there!!!!
    Jerry /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif