Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by donwonjon, Jun 2, 2005.

1. donwonjon

donwonjon Newbie

Hello I'm new here. I have a 96z28 and a 87 custom deluxe 20. I want to make my truck a bit better off road and im not sure about certain mods. I know that I want bigger tires and a lift. I dont know wheather to get spring or block lift and how much lift i need. Im not sure about tires either because i cant find many for my stock rims so i have to buy new ones and thats more money. Where I live its all just mud not many rocks or anything else. What would your suggestions be for my truck.

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Your stock wheels should be 15x8 or 15x7, both of which will fit 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires no sweat. That said, without knowing how crazy you wanna get, here are two ways to go:

1) 4-inch Tuff Country SPRING lift (blocks suck, IMO)
    35x12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers or maybe Remington Mud Brute
    That should be a good start, moderate set-up, not too expensive

2) 2.5-inch Tuff Country SPRING lift (can you tell I'm a Tuff Country fan?)
    33x12.50 Daytona Timberline MT tires (got mine for $385, installed,
    and I love 'em)

Number 1 is for moderate to strong wheeling, and the big truck look.

Number 2 is more for decent performance, maintaining near-stock ride and look, and fairly cheap.

Either way should cost you under $1200.00

Welcome to CK5! :D

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I would run 33-12.50 tires they should fit on stock rally wheels they are 8in wide.shackle flip or 4in blocks in rear.4in lift spings in front .you can get lift springs on ebay around $200.all you should have to do is relocate brake lines,get new shocks and mayby a raised steerig arm .

4. donwonjon

donwonjon Newbie

Maybe I dont have the stock wheels. I just checked my tires and they say 265 75 r16. What kinda of tires can I get to fit 16s

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Same as I suggested before, just go with a 16 inch tire. You'll be looking for something like a 33x12.50x16 tire. It'll still work out with my suggested plans.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I second the vote for Dunlop Mud Rover's.... just upgraded from 31x10.5 All-Terrain's to 32x11.50 Mud Rovers. They're a decent tire if you're not ready to spend the big bucks on some boggers, and they clean out pretty well too.

In fact, I was out wheeling today (sorry, forgot to take the camera) in my 87 K5, one of my buddies was telling me the tires I just put on (the mud rovers) were sh** because they weren't cleaning. My respone "Dude, I've been crawling through this muck, I'll show you some cleaning" Just a litte more gas in 4 low and they were slinging the muck off :D