Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Dec 11, 2005.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ok everybody, i have read alot of posts about the 52" front spring swap, and im just not sure if i should do it or not.

For those of u that dont know, im turning my 84 2wd suburban into 4x4, just got the core support mounts bolted in yesterday and im gettin ready 2 install the spring hangers, but im not sure if i should mount them 2 fit the stock springs, or for the 52" swap

I got a 10 bolt with stock springs, that i could use and just get some 4" lift springs.
    Or i got 52" springs from the rear of my old suburban that i could use, and since i havnt got any of the hangers mounted yet it wouldnt be that hard 2 do.
    I got the 2wd sterring box, cause i know u need crossover if u do the swap.

So which way do u all think i should go? its not gonna be rock crawling, mostly mud and trails, and some towing, but the front end is gonna be really heavy, 454, 16.5 winch, 200# bumper
    and i want the front end solid not walking all over when im driving lol.

any comments will help thanks guys

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tough question because of the multitude of different uses you plan on. If you had said "its a trail rig"... I would say "go for the 52s". Since you threw in that its gonna be heavy, towing and lots of street miles... that makes me think that normal lift springs would be best. Guess it depends on which use is most important.

j

3. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ya i think im gonna go with regular lift springs for the front.

I have the front hangers all bolted up, now for the rear hangers should i put the hangers in the stock location? or move them up a lil bit like you do with the 52" swap?
    would that gain any lift? help flex? and should i stick with stock length shackles, or can i get longer ones,if so how long could i go?

thanks

brad