Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by misterfnygy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

So I have a dilemna- need to get rid of my 74 CJ5 and get a real truck. Of course it needs to be a K5. I hope to get about 4k out of the Jeep. So here are my options-
    1) spend 4-5k on a close to stock K5 that is in good driving condition, drive it around and mod it here and there
    2) I have a friend with a tow yard and about 6 K5's and tons of parts that he needs to get rid of. I could pick up a fairly straight body with good frame, D60, 14 bolt, t-case and SM465 for about $1000. I have almost all the parts for a very healthy brand new 383 sitting in the garage from an old project. I would spend 2-3 months putting the thing together but it would climb walls when done- and look like an old beat up truck
    3) Pick up a bone stock 91 3/4 ton Burb from my dad for $2000. Throw some parts on it and have a monster truck that is too big (in my opinion) to wheel

I have the tools and knowledge to build what I want. I would really like to have the instant gratification of driving something new. It will probably see more graded roads than rough trails. So what do you think???

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

if you don't need a daily driver go with #2 you won't feel bad when you do damage it. you'll be out the least amount of money. which means more money for better mods. take it from me, i'll be out about 14 grand when i'm done because i started with something different than i wanted