Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Jan 2, 2007.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

ok, my 305 has 92,000 on it. its eating oil pretty bad, leaking some around the valve covers and oil pan. runs good i dont have any real problems with it. it takes a while to start up but stays running. also it sometimes wants to stay running after i turn the key off (dieseling). what are my options here? should i just pull it and rebuild it with the same pistons and crank and heads? throw some new rings and bearings in it and call it good or what? am i better off rebuilding it with what i have or should i replace a bunch of stuff (pistons/cam/heads?) after all the bother would i be better off just buying a long block? all i want is a good solid motor to get my blazer around. not lookin for high hp. i know i will change the intake manifold/headers/carb when i do whatever it is i am gonna do. any help is greatly appreciated any opinions will help so please leave some feedback if you read this thread. thanks all

also i need a clutch so im gonna swap it at the same time

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Oil useage , if leaking = seal it up , or rebuild it . Your budget decides .

Dieseling and hard to start has nothing to do with the motor , thats tuning , I.E carb and dizzy :thumb:

3. BlaKK54Speed

im on a pretty tight budget. just poking around at my options to see what everybody would think would be the best decision

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't waste my time on a 305... Heck, you can get 350 long blocks for under a grand.. gauranteed you'll have that much in the 305...

5. BlaKK54Speed

yea if i buy a long block it will be a 350

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheapest way out..

I wouldn't overlook a used motor from a junkyard..I see quite often an older Impala or Malibu,etc,that is being scrapped due to rust,lost titles,or elderly owners passing on, in the local boneyards,and many have low milage good running motors..they usually just crush them now,since not too many of us are buying those older engines up here now,they are only good for the older vehicles,which are dissapearing fast around here lately..

You can probably score a decent runner for 300-500 bucks,and can often hear it run before buying it..would be wise to do a compression test,and check oil pressure when hot before buying it...the bonus is you usually get all the goodies like the alternator,P/S pump,pulleys and brackets,etc..

Other alternatives are a GM factory replacement engine for around 1200-1500 dollars..rebuilding a motor will cost at least 600 bucks in parts and machine work,and they often dont last long--anything from a poor machine shop work to inexperienced mechanics assembling it,can make it die an early death,and you'll have to do it again!..at least a new motor has a warranty,and is likely to outlast the vehicle you put it in...:crazy:

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For now, just fix the leaks on and retime the engine, and rebuild the carb.

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what year?
    I had a 85 that had a crack on the underside of the intake (cast iron), and was sucking aquart every 700 miles, run like crap when cold, and would only get a little better when it warmed up.

9. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I can get good used 350's all day long for less than $500. Unless your building something special, I would check out the junkyards. You might want to call some machineshops, they sometimes have motors that have not been paid for and are looking to unload.

10. BlaKK54Speed

yea i will have to look around for a 350. i dont think ill keep the 305 you guys are probably right i would be better off just buying a new long block