Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

just upgraded to a 14bff (4.10 gears) and for the front axle im not sure what to do? I don't see the need for a D60 cause i still plan on running 35's for a while; I have a install kit and 4.10 gears for my 1/2 ton D44 that are sitting in my garage that i bought a while ago but not sure if it would be cheaper and smarter to get a 3/4 ton D44 that has 4.10 gears stock from a junkyard or have have the install kit and gears installed in my current 1/2 ton D44 then converting to 8lug.(then this axle will have been totally gone through with new bearings etc...) see what i'am trying to get at? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1/2 and 3/4 ton D44's are the same with the exception of the 3/4 ton being 8 lug. Why spend more money on the same axle when you can update yours to 8 lug. Besides, you already have NEW gears and install kit for yours. The hardest part to find is going to be the caliper brackets. They are sold on here from time to time but they sell as fast as they are listed.

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

thats true just have to pay to have the gears installed i think last time i checked was like $250. Is the 3/4ton rotors and calipers bigger or can i use my same caliper?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3/4 ton rotors are larger than 1/2 ton and also the caliper brackets are different because of the larger rotors. The calipers are the same though.